Chapter 10

The car ride was silent after Pierce refused to answer my questions of where we were going. I couldn't help but worry that Aster was going to get a call any minute now saying that I had skipped school and left early, and I knew where that argument would go and let's just say I'm not winning it. 

Scrolling mindlessly through my social media, I saw pictures of all my old friends from Washington, when I came to a picture of my ex boyfriend Cayde and his new shiny girl toy. Cayde Matthews was my boyfriend for a little over a year, he was my first everything and on the football team at my old High School, you could say he was mister popular. So we dated from my sophomore year till our junior year before we broke up after one we were at a party and he disappeared from our friend group. Later I found him having sex with another girl in the upstairs bedroom.

Cayde was my first heartbreak, I couldn't get out bed for days and the fact the entire high school knew Cayde Matthews had cheated on me was not helping the circumstances. My dad was clueless as well as there was no book on 'How to help your heartbroken 16 year old daughter that just got cheated on.' 

I locked my phone screen, and Pierce pulled down a back road before soon pulling into a driveway. The house was an old Victorian styled mansion but had been in bad shape. It was two or three floors with a white wooden fence that wrapped around it. The house was white but stained from the outside environment, giving the house an even more rundown appearance. The windows were a clear glass and I could see through to the dark rooms.

Pierce parked the car and headed up the wooden front porch, making the stairs creek as he walked up them. In fear of where I was and not knowing what was about to happen I got out of the car, slamming the door shut and following after Pierce.

Before Pierce reached the front door, he turned around to face me and pointed to the car "Stay in the car Ambrosia."

A women with medium length brown hair and green eyes exited from the house. She was probably about her forties, very thin and It looked like she had not slept as the bags under her eyes were very prominent. She was extremely beautiful and reminded me a lot of Juniper when it came to facial structure.  She was wearing plain blue denim jeans with an oversize black sweater. 

"Pierce I didn't know you were coming home so early-" She started but soon stopped when her eyes flickered to mine and her eyes lit up "You must be Aspen!" 

"Ambrosia. Car Now." Pierce demanded again, making the women roll her eyes and give him a slight tap on the shoulder. She walked towards me, and stuck her hand out "I'm Mrs. Gunner, but please just call me Devon- makes me feel young."

"Hi..I'm Aspen, but you apparently already know that." I trailed off, glancing over at Pierce who looked to be purely frustrated as it had been written all over his face. "Mom, please." Pierce begged in an aggravated tone.

"Oh Pierce knock it off. I was just introducing myself." Mrs. Gunner wave him off before turning back to me "Please come in. I can make you guys a pot of coffee."

She turned around and headed towards the inside of the house, I followed slowly behind her and face Pierce once I had reached the front wooden porch. "Stay as quiet as possible." Pierce warned, his eyes shooting me a glare before he walked into the house, letting the screen door swing shut behind him. 

I entered the house which brought us into the front entrance where a wooden grand staircase led to the upstairs with a red patterned carpet laying on top of it. To the right was what I could only assume was the kitchen and to the left had been the living room. The wallpaper on the walls was starting to peel off and the carpet had needed vacuumed. 

"Would you like cream sweetie? I always like to ask, Pierce takes his straight black which I think is so bizarre, it's so bitter." Mrs. Gunner asked, snapping me out of my thoughts and the examination of the house. I nodded in response and looked at Pierce.