Chapter 18

*I don't know about the surgery that Robert had. So I'm just making stuff up.

Andy's 15 Weeks and 6 Days... It's finally surgery day, and Andy's super anxious. Andy's actually more anxious than Robert is.

Andy and Robert have to be at the hospital at 7:00 in the morning, and they arrived at the hospital at about 6:55 in the morning. When they got there, Andy was freaking out, so Robert took her face, and told her "I'm going to be alright. I want you to know that. I love you." When he told her that, she felt a little bit better, but not much. When they made it inside, they checked in and were put in a pre-op room about 7:15 in the morning. Around 7:30 in the morning, Amelia came in and talked to both Andy and Robert.

When Amelia came in, she told them that the surgery will last three to four hours with no complications, and that complications are rare. Also, Amelia is going to send a nurse out to give Andy an update every sixty to ninety minutes. When Andy heard that, they helped her anxiety some. Robert's surgery is set for nine in the morning, and Maya arrived around 8:30 in the morning to be there for Andy.

Before Andy knew it, they were walking down the halls to the surgery doors, and are saying goodbye. Robert whispered in Andy's ear and told her "I love you forever and always. I will make it thru this. Remember to breathe. Please, don't worry. I love you, so much. See you soon." After that, they kissed. Before Andy knew it, she made it to the stopping doors, the nurse was taking her to the waiting room, and was giving her a pager so she could get updates. Andy found Maya with Carina, and then Andy and Maya went to the waiting room.

When Robert was in the operating room, he made Amelia promise two things. The first thing was that as soon as the surgery finished, she would go get Andy and give Andy an update herself. The second thing is that she wouldn't kill or paralyze him. Amelia promised that she would go give Andy an update, as soon as Robert made it to recovery, that she wouldn't kill him, but not the paralyzing part. Robert made her promise those things because Robert wants to meet and hold his twins.

When Andy found Maya with Carina, and when Andy found her, both she and Maya went to the waiting room. Andy and Maya got an update every hour, and the surgery lasted three hours. During the whole surgery, Andy sat in the waiting room, with her hand on her belly.

As soon as surgery finished, Amelia came out to the waiting room and gave an update to Andy. When Andy saw Amelia coming with a smile on her face, Andy felt instant relief. Amelia decided to take Andy to recovery to see Robert. However, they usually don't bring people into recovery. When Andy came into Robert's recovery room, Robert was just starting to wake up, and when Andy saw Robert's eyes open, Andy felt a sigh of relief. So she went and got in bed with him, and laid down with him. Robert knew how bad Andy's anxiety was, so when she laid down, he kissed her. They stayed in recovery for an hour and then were moved to a regular room.

Over the Past Couple Days... Over the past three days, Robert's been recovering from surgery. He's been a regular room. Over the past three days, Andy never left Robert, and if she did, she never left the hospital. However, Robert told Andy to go home all the time. Andy was anxious and worried that something would happen if she left. On day two, Nurse Adam came down from the rehab floor and started Robert's rehab sessions. He did very well during those sessions.

Yesterday, while Nurse Adam was doing Robert's rehab session, she decided to explain what was going to happen tomorrow. She explained that tomorrow, Robert's going to be transfused to the rehab floor. Nurse Adam explained that during the first couple of days of Robert being on the rehab floor, Andy won't be able to stay the night, but she can come to visit. She can come around 8:30 om the morning, but she has to leave between six to seven in the evening.

Andy's 16 Weeks and 2 Days... Today, Robert's getting moved to the rehab floor. This afternoon, Robert has his rehab session, and then he's going to be moved to the rehab floor a little bit later. Since Andy has arrived at the hospital with Robert, she hasn't left the hospital.

Since Andy hasn't left the hospital, Andy has taken a shower. So, Robert decided to call Maya and ask her to come up to get Andy and take her home for about an hour. When Maya got that call, she was at the hospital for forty-five minutes. The plan was for Maya to take Andy home, have Andy take a shower, and then bring her back to the hospital. Robert didn't tell Andy that Maya was coming up to the hospital to get her.

When Maya showed up at the hospital, Andy was confused, but when Robert explained everything she understood. She didn't want to go home and take a shower, but she did. So Maya took her home. When she got home, she took a shower and was ready to go back to the hospital within thirty minutes. When Andy got back so quickly Robert was surprised, but at least Andy had taken a shower.

Since the surgery, Robert hasn't had any shooting pain down his leg. Usually, he'll have it three or four times a day, but he's gone three days without any pain. He was super glad that he didn't have any shooting pain going down his legs.

Nurse Adam came and got Robert to move him to the rehab floor about four in the afternoon. Robert got settled about 5:30 in the evening, and Andy had to leave about seven in the evening.

Andy and Robert haven't had many nights apart. Even when they are on shift, Andy would go hang out in Robert's bunk, and they would asleep in each other's arms. They hardly ever sleep apart, and the last time they slept apart was the day before their wedding. Even now, when he had his surgery, Andy slept close to Robert's hospital bed, and all night they held hands while they slept.

When Andy learned she had to leave, she didn't want to leave. When she did leave, she kissed Robert goodbye, and then she went down to the car. She got in the car and started to cry. All Andy wanted was Robert to be in the car beside her. She wanted Robert to hold her hand, and make her smile and giggle. She wanted Robert beside her so badly, but she knew in her heart how bad Robert wanted the surgery and why he did.

Robert wanted the surgery because he didn't want to drop his twins. He wanted the surgery, so he could walk around safely, with his twins, because he usually gets the shooting pain, when he's walking around. When he gets the pain when he's walking, he usually will drop what he's holding, and he didn't want to drop his child.

So Andy knew he did the surgery for a good reason, but she missed him. When she got home, she ate, took another shower, and then went to bed. She was laying down in bed for a couple of minutes when she got a call from Robert. When she saw his name come up on the call, she felt a sigh of relief. When she answered, and heard his voice, she felt a little sigh of relief. So that night, they talked for about an hour. After a little bit, Andy fell asleep, and for a little bit, Robert listened to her sleep. After about thirty minutes, Robert hung up. However, before he hanged up, he told Andy "I love you so much. Sweet dreams. See you tomorrow." After that, Robert went to bed.