Chapter 31 pt.2

1:00 in the morning/ 15 hours in labor... For the past hour, Andy has been walking. While they've been walking, Andy's contractions get more consistent. Kathy taught Robert about a pressure point in Andy's back to help with contractions. When they got back, Ellie checks Andy.

Ellie: Andy, you're now 6cm dilated. That means you've made it to phase 2 which is active labor. So, the walking helped. How are you feeling? Andy: Good. The contractions are now four minutes apart. Ellie: Okay. Is there something you want to do? Andy: Not really. Ellie: Okay. I'm going to bring in a ball for you to bounce on. Andy: Okay. (Ellie brings in a ball and Carina comes into the room.) Carina: Hey, Andy. How are you? Andy: Good. What's going on? Carina: I'm heading off shift. So, I have two people who I could hand you off too. Do you wish for a doctor or a midwife? The midwife can consult with a doctor if you wish or meds. Andy: Kathy, what do you think? Kathy: I'd go with the midwife. I had a midwife and she delivered my girls with the help of a doctor doing the c-section. I loved her. Ellie: I agree. Liz is on tonight and she's amazing. Andy: Okay. Let's go with the midwife. Carina: Okay. I'll give a report and send Liz in. Andy: Thank you. Carina: You're welcome. I'll come to check in on my next shift. Andy: Okay.

Ellie works with Andy while they wait for Liz.

2:00 in the morning/ 16 hours in labor... It took a while for Liz to come into the room. However, she comes in eventually.

Liz: Hello, my name is Liz. Andy: Hi. Liz: Can you give me your names, please? Andy: I'm Andrea Herrera-Sullivan, but people call me Andy. Then my husband is Robert Sullivan and my support person and photographer Kathy. Liz: What are you having? Andy: Twin girls. Kaitlyn Grace is twin A and Katherine Elizabeth is twin B. Liz: Okay. I've looked at your monitor from when you were resting. The contractions are strong and consistent. They were six minutes apart then, what are they know? Andy: Every three to four minutes. Lasting forty-five seconds. Liz: May I check with you? Andy: Okay. (Liz checks Andy and she's 6.5cm dilated.) Liz: You're 6.5cm. Andy: What does that mean? Liz: Well, your contractions are strong and consistent. They come every three minutes and last forty-five seconds. How's the pain? Andy: Painful and strong. Liz: Would you like to do the tub or the shower? You can give birth in either. Andy: Really? Liz: Yeah. I monitor you with a doppler and you can give birth wherever and how you want. Andy: That's amazing.

Liz: What do you want to do? Andy: I don't know. What should I do? Liz: Are you uncomfortable? Andy: Since week 25. A bath and shower usually help. Liz: Okay. Let's do the tub. Ellie, can you get a birthing tub set up, please? Ellie: I can get the room set up. Then, we'll move her. Liz: Thanks. (Ellie leaves the room.) Andy: Can I have twins in the tub? Liz: Yeah. Most moms choose to do a water birth get out of the tub, and do a squatting birth by the bed. Once the other baby is ready to come out, we'll move her to a warmer. Andy: Okay. Liz: Most first-time moms don't know about midwives, and the other options you can have with birth and pregnancy. So, I educate them. Andy: Thanks. Liz: Once, the room is ready. We'll move you.

They get the room ready and meanwhile, they pack up.

3:00 in the morning/ 17 hours in labor... Ellie has been preparing the water birth room and getting the tub ready. Eventually, Ellie comes into the room.

Ellie: Hey. How is she doing? Robert: She's in the middle of a contraction. Ellie: You can move the stuff. Robert: Okay. Ellie: I'll take over the pressure. Robert: Okay. (Ellie takes over the pressure on Andy's back. Meanwhile, Kathy takes photos of the room, while Robert moves the stuff. They then help, Andy move.) Ellie: Would you like into the tub or shower? Andy: Do you mind the shower? Ellie: Not at all. (They help Andy stand in the shower. By now the contractions are consistent and very strong.) Andy: How much longer? Ellie: I don't know. It could be hours. Andy: Hours? Ellie: Yeah. You have to make it to 10cm and then push them out. Andy: I don't think I can. I'm so tired.