Chapter 31 pt.3

July 20th, Date of Birth: 9:00 in the Morning/ 3 hours old approximate... For the last two hours, Andy has rested. Every hour, Andy's new nurse named Sam has come in to check on Andy. She's been an emotional mess, because of Katherine.

Liz: Hey, Andy. How are you? Andy: I'm okay. Robert's finally getting some rest. Have you heard about Katherine? Liz: She needs some oxygen, but is needing less and less. She should be with you by the evening, hopefully. Andy: Can you help me shower real quick? Liz: Yeah. Then you can go see her. Andy: Okay. (Liz and Sam help Andy shower. After she showers, Andy wakes Robert up.) Andy: Hey, I'm going to see Katherine. Do you want to come with me? Robert: Of course. (They get up and head to the NICU. Andy pushes Kaitlyn's bassinet to the NICU. When they get there, they find Kathy standing beside her.) Kathy: Hey, she's going well. Her stats are good. Her nurse will be back in just a moment. Andy: Okay. (Her nurse comes back and her name is Nova.) Nova: Hi, I'm Nova. You must be Katherine's parents. Andy: I'm her mother. Nova: Okay. She's doing well. She needed a ton of oxygen but is coming down quickly. The doctor wants to monitor her till this evening, or tomorrow morning. Andy: Can I hold her? Nova: Of course. Would you like to feed her? Andy: Yes. (Nova helps Andy sit down and get comfortable. She then holds Katherine and feeds her.)

Andy: How much does she weigh? Nova: She weighs 4lb and 15oz. Andy: She's tiny. Nova: It's normal with twins. Andy: Will she come home with her sister? Nova: There's no way of knowing. I'll have our pediatrician come by and talk to you. Andy: Okay. (For the next thirty minutes, Andy holds Katherine and feeds her. She does amazing with eating.) Nova: She looks like she has a good latch. That's a very good sign. The doctor will be over in a couple of minutes. (Shortly after she says that the doctor comes into the site. The doctor's name is Dr. Lynn Griffin.) Dr. Lynn Griffin: Hello, my name is Dr. Lynn Griffin, but please call me Lynn. I'm the hospital pediatrician, and I'm treating your daughter. Andy: How is she? Lynn: Good. She needed some extra oxygen for the first hour or so. She's doing better. I just want to monitor her for the rest of the day. She'll likely be in your room by this evening, no promises. Andy: Okay. Is she okay now? Lynn: Yeah. I just want to monitor her.

Andy: What tests have you done? Lynn: Blood work, EKG, and x-ray. Everything so far has come back all clear. Andy: I'm glad. Lynn: We are waiting on one more test result, and then we'll go from there. Andy: Okay. (Andy loves on her baby for a bit and then goes back to her room with Kathy. When she gets there, Kathy holds Kaitlyn.) Kathy: She's so precious. Andy: She is. Have you Brad ever thought about having another baby? Kathy: We would both love one more. However, the girls were a miracle. I have severe fertility issues. The only way we could is thru a surrogate. However, we're happy right now. Andy: Okay. Kathy: Can I call Brad and let him know? Andy: Yeah.

For the next couple of hours, Andy rests.

2:00 in the afternoon/ 8 hours old approximately... For the past five hours, Andy has been busy. She rested for a bit, and then woke up to feed her girls. Her nurse had her pump while she feed Kaitlyn. So, Kathy took the milk to Robert. So, Katherine could eat.

After Andy pumped and fed Kaitlyn, she changed her diaper and laid down again. She eventually fell asleep. So, when Kathy got back, she was asleep, so, she called Brad again. He was glad to hear Andy and the girls were okay. He planned to come up there sometime after work. He gets off around four in the afternoon.

It's now time for another feeding. So, Andy woke up and got ready to feed her girls. She was getting ready to start feeding when there was a knock on the door. After a moment, they came in. The people who came were Nova with Robert and Katherine.

Robert: She's ours. Andy: Really? Nova: Yes, she's good. The rest of her labs came back clear, she's breathing on her own perfectly, and her heart rate is amazing as well. So, she's good. Andy: Then why did this happen? Nova: It happens sometimes. So, we just monitor them for a couple of hours. Andy: Will anything happen later on in her life? Nova: That's not likely. Andy: It's feeding time. Could you help me with feeding both of them? Nova: Of course. (Nova shows Andy how to feed both babies at the same time. It's called tandem feeding. It's hard, but Nova helps her get it.) Nova: I'm not sure if they told you, but you need to feed them every two hours. Andy: They did. Nova: Okay.

For the next thirty minutes, Andy feeds her girls.

4:00 in the Evening/ 10 hours old approximately... It's been two hours, and it's time for another feeding. Brad is due to come by anytime because he just got off of work.

Andy had to get some help with getting both girls to latch, so, she had a nurse help her. Meanwhile, Kathy fell asleep in the chair. She was up all night taking photos and helping Robert thru Andy's labor. So, while she was sleeping and Andy was feeding, she got a call from Brad. He let her know that she was downstairs.

Kathy: Andy, I going to run downstairs to grab Brad. Do you want me to grab anything for you to eat or drink? Andy: Nothing, please. Warn him that I'm feeding the girls. Kathy: Will do. He has the girls? Do you mind? Andy: No. (Nova helps her make sure everything works for her feeding, since, this is the second time feeding both of her girls. After ten minutes, she came back with Brad. He stayed outside, while Kathy went in.) Kathy: He's good to come in if you want. He doesn't mind if you cover up or not. Andy: I'll cover up with a blanket. Kathy: Okay. (Andy covers up, and Brad comes in with the girls. The girls call Andy, Auntie Andy. They were happy to see her with a baby and they wanted to hold her.) Brad: How are you doing? Andy: I'm so tired. I was in labor for over twenty hours, and it was hard. Brad: I bet. If I remember correctly, Kathy was in labor for 26 hours and ended with a c-section. So, I'm not sure who had it easier. (Andy finishes feeding the babies and then hands Kaitlyn to Brad, and he just stares at her.)

Andy: You want to take Katherine? Brad: Sure. I can take both.(They hand Brad one baby at a time, and they smile at him holding the girls. Kathy gets a picture.) Brad: Andy, they're so beautiful. (Andy smiles at Brad.) Andrea (Brad and Kathy's Daughter): Mama, can I hold one? Amanda (Brad and Kathy's Daughter): Me too. Kathy: You have to ask Auntie Andy. (They stare at Andy.) Andy: You can if you sit down and use pillows, plus be helped by your mom and dad. Both Girls: Yey. Amanda: Mommy, can I have another sibling? I want another one besides Andrea. Kathy: You know we can't. However, I would want one too. Amanda: Okay.

The girls go sit down and the girls hold the girls and they switch. Kathy gets some photos of her girls holding the babies. They stay for about an hour and leave around 5:30 in the evening. However, before they leave they get Andy and Robert a good dinner.

After they leave, Andy and Robert eat their dinner and rest for a bit.

7:00 in the evening/ 13 hours old approximately... Around seven Liz and Ellie stop by to check in on Andy and Robert. They were both glad to see Katherine out of the NICU and Andy holding her girls. So, they came in and talked for a minute.

Liz: Andy, how are you doing? Andy: Everything hurts. However, Katherine is with me and I'm pretty happy now. Liz: Good. How's nursing? Andy: It hurts, but I could use some help. Liz: I can have a lactation consultant stop by tomorrow morning. Andy: Thank you. Liz: Dr. Delcua plans on stopping by sometime tomorrow morning. Andy: When can we go home? Liz: How about tomorrow afternoon? Andy: Really? Liz: Yeah. The girls are healthy, and a good weight. So, I believe you're good to go home. I want them seen by a pediatrician at three to four days old. Andy: Good. Liz: I'll see you in the morning to check you out, and we'll decide then if you're allowed to go home or not. Andy: Okay. (Liz leaves the room, and Ellie stays.) Ellie: Andy, how are you doing? Andy: I'm tired and hurting. Pushing out two babies is really rough, plus the NICU scare. Ellie: It's hard being a mom, but you've got it. Goodbye, Andy. Andy: Goodbye Ellie.: End of Conversation After that, Ellie leaves and they go to bed.

They do the feeding at eight in the evening and then go to sleep. Andy feeds the girls every two hours, and Robert wakes up and does the diapers.