Chapter 17

Andy's 14 Weeks and 1 Day... Andy and Robert were both off today. It's about two weeks until his surgery. They had a shift tomorrow, and then two more. After the two shifts, they are off for two weeks. They were both hanging out when Andy got a call from New York. The call was from her Aunt Thea. A few weeks back, while Andy was going thru Pruitt's stuff, she found a couple of letters from Aunt Thea, so she decided to send her a letter. Robert about the letter, he didn't expect that she would call, but he didn't tell Andy that. When she answered all her Aunt Thea said was how much she missed and loved her. They talked on the phone for about thirty minutes. Andy learned that she got the letter a couple of days ago, and she didn't know that Pruitt was dead until she got the letter. Also, she's planning on coming to town, but she's not sure when. Robert watched Andy's face the whole conversation, and he couldn't tell anything. When they finished talking, Andy told him everything, and he just listened to everything she said. 

Andy's 14 Weeks and 4 Days... They had a pretty calm shift, and today they have an appointment with Amelia and the rehab place with Nurse Adam.

The first appointment was with Amelia. She walked them thru everything that was going to happen the days before, the day of, and the days after surgery. They all talked for about thirty minutes, got his surgery paperwork, and got his blood drawn.

The next appointment was on the rehab floor with Nurse Adam. When they got off the elevator, they were greeted by Nurse Adam at the front desk. Andy was glad to be greeted by a familiar face. Back when Robert was in the rehab place, on a bad day, he told Nurse Adam that he loved Andy, and one day he would hopefully marry her. When Amelia put in his paperwork, and she saw his name, she volunteered to be his nurse again.

Amelia thought it would be easier to get everything ready for his surgery a couple of days before his surgery, and it was easier. So they did his intake and assessment a week or so before his surgery.

During his assessment, Nurse Adam asked a lot of questions about his health and what was going on in their lives. While they were talking Nurse Adam learned that Andy and Robert got married and pregnant. Andy told her that they are having twins and that she's due in about 25 weeks. When Nurse Adam learned that she was extremely happy for them.

Conversation... Nurse Adam: Andy, I would like to tell you something. Andy: What? Nurse Adam: I'm not sure if Robert remembers, but one day during month two, he said that he was falling in love with you. Robert: I did? Nurse Adam: Yes, you did. Robert: Wow. Well, I did fall in love with her, and I married her. Love you. Andy: Love you too.: End of Conversation After that, they all finished talking.

After they finished talking, Nurse Adam explained everything that's going to happen. Nurse Adam explained that Robert will be moved to the rehab floor three days after his surgery. Since they are now married, Andy can now come to visit anytime, leave when she wants, and stay the night. Starting a couple of months ago, the rehab place started letting spouses stay the night a couple of times a week. Andy was really glad that she was on his case again, and it made her less anxious.

Over Robert's four-month stay in rehab, Nurse Adams became family to Andy, because she saw him every day for four months straight. She was family, even though the team never met her. The team knew very little about his rehab stay.

The team knew a couple of things about those four months. The first thing they knew was that she went and saw him an everyday day for a few hours. The second thing they knew was how they weren't enemies anymore. They were confused about how after she got released from the hospital, she went and saw him every day for four months straight, and they never knew what happened during the hours after the crash before they were found. The team realized that they would never know what happened the day of the crash. However, in the end, they were confused on how before they were injured they were enemies, and after the accident, they were actually friends.

Nurse Adam was glad to hear that the team would be coming and visiting because she knew a couple of years ago they weren't close. On the day of Robert's assessment, it's been about three years since the ambulance crash, and most of the team didn't know why Robert was having surgery. Maya was the only one who knew why he was having surgery, and the rest of the team thought it was because of the ambulance crash. Robert didn't mind the team knowing, but he didn't know how to tell them, and how they would treat him, so he didn't tell him. Andy also didn't tell the team, because she thought it was Robert's right to tell the team.

Andy's 15 Weeks and 3 Days... It's been a week since Robert's assessment. Today was Robert's and Andy's last shift before surgery, and it was a calm shift. Robert's surgery is in two days. Andy was still anxious about Robert's surgery, but Robert tried to keep her calm.