The Bartender

I turned off the car, wanting to scream. My mother was making me have lunch with my dad. I was suppose to meet him at his country club, which I was parked in front of. I looked at my watch. 11:45. Five minutes passed the time I was suppose to meet him. Well let's get this over with.

I walked inside dreading what was to come. Once inside, I walked towards the bar while looking for my father but he was no where to be found. I let out a frustrated sigh as I reached the bar.

"Rough day?" I turned to see the bartender drying a glass. I rolled my eyes.

"I don't see why it's any of your concern." I mumbled.

"Well I'm a bartender. People come to me all the time." He shrugged. "What can I get you?"

"A new father?" I mumbled.

"What was that?" He asked.

"Apple martini." I corrected. "And I'm 100% sure people only pour their hearts out to you because you make them drunk."

"Hey now!" He put his hands up in surrender. "I don't make them chug 15 beers. I just take their order." He finished my drink and handed it to me.

"Thank you." He nodded in response. I picked up my drink and took a sip.

"So, who are you waiting for?" He asked with his back to me. I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

"How'd you know I was waiting for someone?" I asked, slowly putting my drink down.

He laughed and turned around. "Why else would a pretty girl like you come to a country club at noon?" I chuckled.

"Well..... I was supposed to meet my father but like usual, he's late. I don't know what....."

"Pumpkin?" I cringed at the nickname. The bartender saw me cringe and laughed. I shot him a look which made him cover up his laugh with a cough. I rolled my eyes.

I turned around with my teeth clenched together. "Hello, father."

"Oh my girl!!" He came up and gave me a tight hug. I saw the bartender laughing at my discomfort. "How have you been?"

"I'd be better if my dad didn't make me wait." I grumbled.

"I'm sorry, dear. I'm......all.....yours." He said looking at his phone.

"Yeah. All mine. Yippee." I mumbled as I downed the rest of my drink.

"Let's have a sit shall we?" Have a sit? Really? "You! Boy! Come take our order." Now it was my turn to cover my laugh. He shot me a soft glare before chuckling.

"What can I get for you, sir?" He cleared his throat.

"I'll get a water with lemon and the chowder. And she will get the same." I groaned. I hated when he tried to order for me.

"Umm actually no. I'll have an iced tea and the chicken caesar salad." I smiled sweetly, handing him my menu. He smiled back.

"No, she won't." He tried to change.

"I don't need you to order for me, dad. I'm 24 I can order my own lunch." I sat back with my arms folded across my chest.

"You will not embarrass me like that!" He started to get angry. I rolled my eyes.

"Hate to break it to you dad, but you're the one making a scene." He opened his mouth to respond, but closed it and turned towards the boy and nodded for him to leave.

"So, how's school going?" He asked, clearing his throat. I was about to respond but his phone went off. Not even excusing himself, he took the call. I rolled my eyes as the boy came back with our drinks. Before he left, he handed me an extra napkin. I had to stop myself from giggling like a schoolgirl as I read what was written on it.

Brenton
789-777-6534
Call me ;)

I laughed as I pulled my phone out and put his number in. I sent him a text and then looked up and gave him a wink. He walked away as my father finally got off the phone.

"That was Sam from the office. There's been a problem with one of the shipments and they need my help. I'm going to have to reschedule." He didn't even look at me.

"Really?" I scoffed. He looked up in shock. "You're going to reschedule lunch with your daughter? Yeah why don't we just cancel any face to face time at all." I said standing up and walking to the restroom.

When I walked out, I saw that our table was empty. The only thing that was left was my tea and salad. I rolled my eyes as I sat down and ate. Suddenly, I wasn't alone anymore.

"Dang, your dad sounds like a real douce." I chuckled.

"I don't remember inviting you to have lunch with me."

"Well I'm on break and a pretty girl should never eat alone." I laughed at his compliment.

"Thank you." I paused. "Brenton." A slow smile made it's way to his lips. I mirrored his smile.