Funeral Break Down

My dad was my best friend. He did everything for everyone else. If you asked him, he actually did everything for me. At least that's what he said about going off to war.

I wish he hadn't.

I remember that day like it happened yesterday, only it happened two weeks ago. The two guys in uniform. The flag with my father's dog tags. The sob that escaped my lips as I clutched the flag to my chest. The comforting hug of my fiancé Brenton.

"Katie? You ready babe?" Brenton placed his hands gently on my shoulders making me jump. I hadn't realized I'd been staring at my reflection and at the gold locket my father gave me for my sixteenth birthday. I shook my head no.

Brenton turned me around and gave me a tight hug. He expected me to be crying but I had told myself I wasn't going to cry today.

The drive was long and quiet. I walked into the church clutching Brenton's hand as people looked at me. I couldn't tear my eyes away from the casket during the entire service.

"I would now invite those close to Mr. Steven Christofferson to come say their final goodbyes." I felt everyone's eyes on me.

"Do you want me to go up with you?" Brenton whispered in my ear. I shook my head as I stood up and shakily walked towards my father. I touched the top of his casket and took a deep breathe.

"I'm proud of you. They say how brave you were. How you saved that group of men. People say you left to protect your country. But you and I know you went to protect me. I wish.....Why did you leave me? You promised you would come back. You promised!" The tears finally fell as my legs collapsed underneath me.

"Katie," Brenton had run up when I fell. He wrapped his arms around me as I sobbed into his chest.

"Why did he leave me? He said he would take care of me no matter what after mom died. He promised." I sobbed.

He rocked me until I had started to calm down. "I know baby. I know. I know you miss him. But he will always be watching over you."

Brenton looked at my father's casket and held me tighter. "I promise sir, I will take care of your daughter. She will want for nothing. She will receive everything. I will work endlessly to make her happy and give her the life you and I both know she deserves." He helped me stand up but before we turned to walk away he took a step forward and placed his hand on the casket.

"I promise to love your daughter for always and forever." Brenton whispered. I walked up and placed my hand over his.

"Our kids will know the hero you were. The hero you are." Brenton wrapped his arm around me as a single tear slide down my cheek and fell on my father's closed casket.

"I love you daddy."