The Patient

"Move move move!!! We're gonna loose him!" A gurney rushed past the front desk of the hospital. I couldn't get a good look but I saw a boy around my age with brown sandy hair. And he looked like shit.

"Hey Luce?" I asked the lady next to me. "What happened to him?" I asked pointing towards the rushing gurney.

"Oh yeah! I was on my break when I heard the call. He was in a terrible car accident. Apparently he was hit by a semi."

"A semi?! Are you serious?!" I gasped.

"Yeah. What's even worse, is he was drunk."

"The kid?!"

"No!" She laughed which caused me to be confused. "The boy wasn't drunk, the semi driver was."

"Oh my gosh....." The conversation dropped after that.

A few days later, I was greeted by an overly joyed Lucy. "Girl guess what!!!"

"What?" I laughed as she spun me around.

"He's awake!"

"Who?!"

"The boy!"

"What boy? There are like 20 something boys in the hospital," I chuckled.

"The boy,"she said with a duh look. I pretended not to be more interested than I really actually was.

"That's good," I shrugged as I hung up my coat.

Lucy was about to say something but was interrupted. "Can one of you go take the patient in room 213 some lunch?"

"I'm busy!" Lucy blurted as she winked at me. I rolled my eyes in response.

"I'll go do it Dr. Charlotte." I sighed.

"Oh and be gentle. He just woke up and hasn't said a word to anyone. Not even his own family." That's strange. I just sighed as I nodded and took the tray.

I walked into the room quietly. The boy sat up and turned towards me. "Hi," I smiled. He just looked at me. "How are you feeling?"

Nothing.

"That's good. Well I brought you some food. Figured you'd be hungry." He looked at me then at the tray and then back at me. He didn't say anything, he just nodded. I smiled as I walked over and helped him eat.

"So, are you going to tell me your name or am I going to have to be a stalker and look at your records." He chuckled which actually surprised me.

"Brenton. My name is Brenton." I smiled.

"Nice to meet you Brenton."