Paranoid

"Jen! Why are you being so paranoid today?" Alyssa chuckled.

"What? I'm..... I'm not!" I said looking over my shoulder.

"See!! That right there!! You've been looking over your shoulder every two minutes!!!" She exclaimed.

"I'm sorry! I just feel like someone has been watching me all day!" I sighed, running my hand through my hair.

Later that day I was walking home from school when I looked across the street to see a boy about my age watching me. It got extra creepy when he put his finger to his ear and whispered something. Is he crazy or just looney?

Something about him seemed familiar, though. I shrugged as my phone started ringing. "Hello?"

"Jen?!?!?" My heart stopped.

"Dad? Are you..... Are you alright??"

"Yyes sweetheart."

"That didn't sound very convincing..... What's going on?"

"I don't have much time, hunny. You have to listen to me. I am part of the CIA."

"What?! The CIA? Seriously dad?"

"Yes, seriously Jenna." He never calls me by my full name. "Listen there should be...young.... age...to.....you safe...." The phone cut off.

"Dad?!?" I screamed. I looked around trying to piece together his message. A young person my age to help keep me safe?? What does that mean?

"Jenna."

"Yes?" I turned to see that boy from earlier.

"You need to come with me." He grabbed my wrist and started pulling me towards an old pickup truck.

"Wait!!" I pulled my hand out of his grasp. "I'm not going anywhere with you until you tell me what's going on! Are you the person my dad tried to tell me about?"

He nodded. "I don't have much time to explain. And I definitely can't do it out here in the open. I need to get you back to HQ."

"HQ?"

"Headquarters."

"I know what HQ stands for. Where are we going and why do we need to go there?"

He sighed slightly annoyed. "I'll answer all your questions on. The. Way." He said the last part pulling me back towards his car.

He unlocked his truck and opened the door for me. Silently, I got in and put on my seatbelt. The boy got in the car and started the engine.

"Is he going to be okay?" I asked barely a whisper.

I continued staring out the window but I could feel the boy's eyes on me. "Your dad is one of the strongest agents I know. He would do anything to protect anyone, especially you. Don't worry, Jenna. I will save him."

I looked over to see the boy concentrating on the road. "How....how do you know him?"

His lips tugged into a small smile. "He trained me. My first day he stood by me and helped me. He never gave up on me, even when all the other agents did. He's always had my back. And I promised I would have his."

"So that's why you've been staring at me all day?"

He scratched the back of his neck nervously as his cheeks turned red. "I can explain?" He said more as a question than a statement.

I chuckled. "Can you?"

"Yes, I swear. He's told me about you and how much he worries about you. He made me promise that if anything went wrong, I'd look out for you."