The Late Actor

"So, I am terribly sorry about this but he isn't here. I called and he said there was an emergency." Jeff our director said. I laughed as he explained for the third time where our other star was.

We were currently at the third table reading for a new movie called, Prison Breakout. It's about a girl who gets wrongly accused and thrown in the most heavily guarded prison in all of Australia. While she is in, she gets the reputation and becomes the top dog at the prison. Her father decides to break her out by sending in his own little monkey to help get her/me out. It's a pretty legit action movie. It's the first one I've done. I've only been in tv shows and a few hallmark movies so this is a big break for me. Plus it's my first Australian movie and I was acting with the one and only Brenton Thwaites. If he ever showed up on time.

"Should we just start?" I asked, trying to sound helpful and not annoyed or bored even though I was both.

"You're right, Lexi. Why don't we start with..........." He then flipped through the script trying to find a scene Brenton wasn't in.

I sighed. "Scene 21? It's the scene where Mark visits Abigail."

"Yes! Thank you Lexi!" Jeff smiled.

We started reading the script, each of us saying our lines and Jeff reading our actions.

"Chief, you seem..........off." Gold who was played by Jamie Bell says hesitantly.

"Yeah. Are you alright?" Duke asked played by Sam Worthington.

"I'm fine." My character groans. "Really, guys. I'm fine. Nothing is wrong. Everything...."

"Chief."Bones cut me off played by Ewan McGregor. "You might as well tell them. They aren't going to say anything to anyone else." I sighed.

"You're right. Guys there's something I need to tell you. I.."

"Stewart Sr.!! You have a visitor!" Blain interrupted played by Edward Burns.

"What?!" I laughed. "Who?" I acted half nervous.

"Mark."

We sighed in defeat as we realized that Brenton played AJ and his line was next.

Jeff sighed, "I could try calling him again...."

"Why don't I try?" I stand up to leave the room.

"Hello?" Answered a flustered Brenton after three rings.

"Hey umm are you almost here?" I ask looking at my shoes. I don't really know him well enough to be comfortable around him.

"Who is this?" I sighed.

"It's Lexi." After a pause I added, "From the movie?"

"Ohh!! Hi!! Sorry I didn't have your number. Tell Larry I'm on my way! I am only like 5....10 minutes away! Twenty at most!"

"His name is Jeff." There was an awkward pause. "I'll let him know." With that I hung up the phone and walked back inside.

"He's 'on his way'. Let's just skip to when Abigail and Blain meet Mark?"

They nodded as we flipped the page.

"You know, I'm going to be standing there the whole time. He thinks it's to protect him but it's to protect you. And yes, I know you're innocent. I'm working on getting you out of here." He says.

"Really?" I said. He nods.

"Let's go. I won't let him touch you." We walk into the room.