Twenty-three: new year

Serene's pov:

"Hey Stella!! Can you pls inform,if there's any work to do for me?" i asked patiently.
I'm still jobless and running short on funds. I do have money that lucas overpaid me...but i don't want to use it, I'll return it when i got a chance.

"Don't worry Renne!. I'll tell you if there's any. But are you sure you can work tonight? I mean it's 31st december....night clubs and bars are gonna pack with drunk people all around"

"Yeah....i will manage, don't worry about that. Just ping me if there's any" i replied.

This is the least i can worry, nowadays. I need money for the renewal of annual agreement for our apartment. My landlord Reminded me yesterday evening, that she is coming next week to get my signatures and collect the money. I was so careless that i forgot about it.

"what about Hera?. I mean you know, that you can't bring the kids there!" stella asked with worry.

She knew about my conditions. Hera usually stays at work with me. The whole staff and even some of the regular customers also knew about her. I can't leave her alone at home.

"I remember that, Stella!. My neighbour Mrs. Briana came back yesterday. She'll take care of her" i replied.

After the call ended, i put the gifts in a carry bag. I bought a few things for Mrs. Briana and Noah on Christmas. They came back yesterday and She invited us on lunch today.

After knocking the door we waited and Noah opened the door wide,Smiling ear to ear.

"Hey ...Happy new year,Noah"

"Thank you, Renne! I was waiting for you.....umm i mean 'We' were." he Stuttered.

"and for me?? Nobody waiting for me...uncle Noah?" Hera asked pouting her lips.

"ofcourse Hera...as i told..we were waiting for you..i was telling you not Renne" he pulled her in his arms.

"i know you're lying uncle Noah!..." she told him bluntly.

"okk smart girl. But don't call me uncle, Just Noah or how about Mr. Sexy instead" he said wiggling his eyebrows as we walked inside.

"Ok 'Just Noah'. But i won't call you Mr. Sexy because Renne says Luca bear is Mr. Sexy" she replied.

Staring at him, in the face, like she knows what she did here. Noah's face turned red with embarrassment he smiled shyly and put Hera on her feets. I quickly turned on my heels directly to the kitchen. Mrs. Briana was stirring a bowl full of melted chocolate. Her leg is still plastered, but this shows how much she loves cooking.As soon as she noticed, she hugged me and Hera.

"I'm still upset that you didn't pay me a visit on christmas. But you know how much 'i love you Renne'." she again pulled me into a hug.

I apologized and told the situations i faced in the past days. She nodded and offered me her help with money,Which i denied and told i will manage on my own.

Mrs. Briana is the best, when its come to home made meals on festivals. She used to tell us stories about her college romance and how she impressed Late Mr. Smith with her cooking talent, in those days. Mr. Smith was a cardiologist and Mrs Briana was a nurse in the same hospital. They bought this apartment when they got married.

Mr. Smith died five years ago, due to cancer. She refused to leave this house and decided,she'll live the rest of her life in this apartment. Even though his untimely death, she still loves him. I don't know if i ever found this lifetime love with someone. I don't even know what love is...