Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Nicole’s POV

During class my first class the next day, our teacher was talking about and going over some of our upcoming assignments. I was honestly beginning to zone out a bit, but he had Harry handing out a paper right now so I figured I would just read that to get the same information that we was telling us right now.

“Now I expect you all to finish this project before the upcoming break,” he told us and there were a few cheers coming from the back of the room and the mention of our week long break coming up in a few weeks.

I had completely forgotten that that was coming up soon and I wasn’t really sure what I was going to do for it. I usually did go home during this time off, I only went home for Christmas break and occasionally spring break. If I did go home for the upcoming week off, I didn’t stay the whole week; I would visit home for a few days then come back to campus.

Not many people stayed on campus for break, most of the teachers would stay, and a few families would come up to visit their kids for a few days instead of the other way around, so it was generally pretty quiet on campus, and I really enjoyed that, I usually got a lot of studying done. That was why my mom usually encouraged me to stay on campus for break because of the amount of studying and work that I got done for school.

I didn’t mind though, one reason being at a boarding school was so I didn’t have to see them all the time, visiting my family at Christmas was probably as much family time as I could handle. This place has basically become my home and if I could stay during summer too, I would.

I looked at the paper explaining our project after Harry gave it to me, and I could easily knock it out within a couple of days. Which was good because I knew that I was going to have other projects given to me from my other classes within the next few days.

After this class was over, just as I thought I was assigned a project from my other classes that I had this morning. It was rare that a teacher didn’t give us a project a few weeks away from a break. During midterms before our Christmas break was when teachers seemed to love to pile on the homework and projects to get last minute grades into their student reports.

“I hate this,” Harry told me once we were both in the coffee shop, as he looked through the papers that he was given from his teachers explaining the required projects.

“If I were you I’d get started on them pretty soon so you don’t have to worry about them,” I told him.

“I’d rather wait till the last minute to do it so I don’t have to worry about it at all until that last day before it’s due,” he responded.

“That’s not a good idea,”

“No, but it’s an easier idea,” he said.

“Not exactly,” I told him and he shrugged.

“So what are you doing during the break?” he asked me.

I didn’t really want to tell him that I was planning on staying here because I knew it was pretty pathetic and it especially would be to him. I couldn’t lie and tell him that I was going to visit family because I knew that there was no way I could follow through with that since I wasn’t going to go home for the break.

“I’m not really sure yet, I was thinking I would just stay here,” I admitted to him.

“Why?” he asked.

“I don’t know, I can only deal with my family for one break during the year and that’s Christmas and visiting them I at least get gifts out of it,” I said.

“I thought it would surprise me that you don’t go home for break, but it actually doesn’t,” he said and I gave him a questioned look.

“You would be the one who would want to practically live here,” he said, answering my questioning.

“What are you planning on doing?” I asked, taking the focus off of how I was spending my week off.

“Um I don’t know. I doubt my mom would want me to come visit,” he said. “That’s probably not true,” I told him and he only shrugged.

“She told me when she was dropping me off here that she might come down to visit, but she hasn’t said anything else about it so I don’t think that it is going to happen,” he told me.

I wasn’t exactly sure what to say to him because anything that I could think to say would just be me trying to make him feel better, like if I told him again that maybe his mom did want to see him, I don’t know if its true or not its just me trying to make him believe that maybe it is and up his mood a bit.

“For me it’s always been the other way around,” I told him, “Me not wanting to see my parents instead of wishing that they would want to see me,”

“Do you not like your parents?” Harry asked.

“No it’s not that, I love my parents, it’s just sometimes they can be a bit bothersome. Then if you add my little brother into the mix it’s even worse,” I said and he just nodded in understandingly, I think.

“Do you have any siblings?” I asked, realizing that I didn’t know if he had any brothers or sisters.

“Older sister,” he answered, “Gemma. She’s away at college…or I think she’s already graduated, I don’t know. She’s my mom’s prized child, her favorite. I know she wishes I was more like Gemma, but I’m not,” he said, not making eye contact with me as he spoke but focusing his attention on the pen that he was twirling between his fingers.

Harry’s POV

Throughout the rest of the day while I was sitting in my afternoon classes, I wasn’t really paying attention to anything that the teachers were saying, but that’s pretty normal for me. Instead I was thinking about the upcoming break, not about being excited to have a week off, although that was nice, but I was thinking about what I was going to do during it.

I hadn’t really thought about it all that much until Nicole brought it up during lunch today. I was really wondering if my mom would want to see me, if she would come visit for a few days and if I could come visit her. I figured that I should probably text her or call her about it later but I was a bit apprehensive about doing it and I just wanted to wait for her to tell me her plans for break.

I didn’t want to feel embarrassed by asking if I could come visit only to have her tell me that she already had something else planned or something like that.

Nicole was staying on campus so I figured that that was an option. I probably should just stay on campus. It could be fun since I’m guessing not many people stay on campus for the break. It would pretty much feel like it was just Nicole and I on campus for that whole week. We could maybe go off campus everyday and go bowling or see movies or something cliché date thing like that.

I was brought out of my thoughts though when yet another paper describing a project that would be due was placed on the table in front of me.

***

don't forget to vote and leave a comment :)