Book 4: Chapter 17

Her hands were cold, and so were his, she noticed that first as he lead her on the dance floor. His free hand on the centre of her back, and the other holding her other hand, they couldn't even look each other in the eye, how would they expect themselves to dance properly.

The slow waltz music played as they started to dance, step by step where both hoping that neither of them step on the other. And so far, they were doing alright.

"I—," Draco's voice trailed, he peaked to Finley slightly who still hasn't looked his way. To say that he was dumbfounded at how beautiful she looked that evening, they would only be scratching the surface of what he actually thought of her. He always knew that she looked beautiful, her mind, and her soul too, often times he felt unworthy of actually being in the same room as her. Then he remembered what he told her that day and it was another kick in the balls. He shouldn't have said those things, not to her, she didn't deserve it.

"Finley I'm—"

"What part of 'Don't talk to me' do you not understand?" He heard her snap at him causing him to the large lump on his throat. Lost of words completely, he really felt like a sinner now than he has ever been since first year started when he started being a mean person to everyone but his house. He drop his head in shame, he shouldn't have asked her to dance, not when she was angry with him.

"You bully my brother constantly, made those horrible pins, and then you tried to hex him, I just can't believe you," Finley ranted, each word she spoke only made him feel so small and ashamed.

"Then you called me a filthy half-blood when I thought you didn't mind, I thought you'd be able to look past that," her tone of voice gone from angry to hurt. "I really thought that," she paused, taking a deep breath.

"I really thought that maybe you finally grew up from all the nonsense prejudices your family planted in you, that maybe you would come and accept us as equals," Finley says now meeting his eyes.

"But in this case, you're still a boy," she finished, the music ended and by that she left him to walk out the hall. Clenching his fist, he needed to speak to her, he needed to tell her that he was willing to change his ways for her. And so he did, he ran out the great hall in search for her but he was too late. He wouldn't be able to find her in this large school, she could be anywhere.

Finley walked up the staircase with a heavy heart, the joy she felt earlier that evening melted when she saw Draco. It melted when she told him how hurt she was for the words he spat at her that day. Taking off her shoes, she walked the stairs to the astronomy tower barefooted. No one would find her there, she was sure since everyone was busy in the great hall dancing.

But she didn't expect Theo to be in the astronomy tower as well, in his dress robes with a bottle of fire whiskey that she doesn't know where he got it from. Looking back, she hasn't see him at all throughout the first half of the evening.

"Hey," she spoke, catching Theo's attention, just as the bottle reached his lips.

"Hey," Theo greeted, placing down the bottle on the floor. Finley slowly walked towards her best friend, sat next to him, placing her shoes next to her. They both looked distraught and broken hearted at the moment, none of them were willing to talk about it.

"Fire whiskey?" Theo offered his half a bottle of fire whiskey that he had been drinking. Finley took the bottle, taking a long drink from it, the strong liquid running down her throat but at the moment she didn't wince.

"Have you been drinking alone for the whole evening?" Finley asked as she set the fire whiskey on the floor again, both of them looking out the starry night sky with a blanket of freshly fallen snow on the ground. "I haven't seen you in the great hall at all."