Book 6: Chapter 19

"I told you to check on it while I was on holiday didn't I?" Finley frowned as she checked the potion she had been brewing for a few weeks now. Thanks to the modified instructions she's made on Felix Felicis, she was able to speed up the process of brewing it. It's been a solid month into the brewing process, it lead to the point where she had been sleeping in the ruins some nights and that the only time she could get in classes was when there was a quiz.

"It's not burnt, Potter. Can you at least be proud of me that I got in here alone without getting my leg bitten off by your pet runespoor?" Nicholas tried to defend himself as he gestured at the 7-foot tall three-headed snake like an idiot he was.

'As if we could eat his disgusting human leg,' one of the heads rolled its eyes that only Finley could see, she stops herself from laughing. Stirring the brewing potion, estimating the time that it would be ready, it wouldn't be too long before it's ready with the ever-burning fire and the golden cauldron in use, after all, it was like brewing the potion of the living dead.

"So when do you think this will be ready?" Nicholas asks Finley as he sat next to her on the laid-out sleeping back she slept in the night before.

"Give or take... a couple of weeks maybe?" She tells him as she crossed her arms over her chest, feeling the wet sleeves on her skin. She forgot how to cast the drying charm again.

"Let me," Nicholas offered, taking out his wand and starting to dry her clothes except for her hair. In the end, he lends her his coat that was abnormally cold for her taste, but un-ironically she always felt below the cold human temperature. "Honestly as smart as you are, you don't know how to perform a simple warming charm."

"I have no excuse," she shook her head, trying her now dry puffy hair into a ponytail, leaving the brewing potion alone before standing up from where she sat. "Let's come back here next week, maybe by then it would be ready."

"So what are you doing after this?" Nicholas asks her, crossing his arms over his chest. "Assuming that you don't attend your classes and all."

"I do attend my classes."

"Really?" Nicholas raises his brow at her. "Then tell me what class you have right now?"

She fell silent, biting her lip as she tried to recall what classes she was taking this year, she's been to them of course. "Care for magical creatures?" She guessed.

"Wrong," Nicholas shook his head, crossed his arms in front of him, "no 6th year took Care for magical creatures this year."

"Then Arithmancy?"

"Guess again."

"Potions!"

Nicholas raised his brow at her in a challenging look, "what's the potion that was written on the chalkboard this afternoon?"

"Everlasting Elixers?" She tried to guess again.

"Good guess, but no," Nicholas shoots down again before handing her a piece of parchment.

"Poly juice potion?" She says in a confused tone, "I thought this was for next week."

"What week do you think it is now?"

"First week since getting back—"

"Finley, where have you been for two whole weeks?" Nicholas frowned, witnessing how Finley's confused state turned into anxious jittering.

"I don't remember," she replied, racking her brain to recall what she had done so far, it felt like she blacked out for so long. Frantic she was, she quickly went towards her bag, fussed to find a mirror or anything with a reflective surface.