Chapter 34

People say that the best thing in life happens unexpectedly. Candid moments, unplanned events or encounters, and spontaneous feelings. It was one of the things that her father taught the young Luna and today she's following her father's teaching. 

Sitting beside Toby's bed was Luna, holding a pen and paper. When she woke up that morning, there was only one thing she wanted to do with Toby today and she is not leaving his hospital room without accomplishing her goal. Toby has to undergo another examination before the prom, and of course, before they leave to Sta Ana for the concert. 

"Come on, don't be such a bummer Cooper!"

"Luna, that's too childish," he said making Luna frown, she wanted to make a bucket list. Though Toby seems to be doing fine for the past days, the pessimistic side of her can't help but be anxious about everything. Luna wanted to do something for him in any way possible. 

"Cooper! It will be fun I promise," 

"Nope, it's stupid,"

"Please for me?" she pleaded playfully, clasping her hands with his cold ones. Luna could see his lips quivering slightly until a small shy smile appeared on his lips. 

"Fine," Toby mumbled, pinching the bridge of her nose as she settled happily on the chair next to his bed. 

She handed him a pen and paper with a victorious grin on her lips. They worked in silence, both lost in their own thoughts. Luna listed a few things already but nothing really significant. Just random stuffs, like watching the sunset at Santa Monica on winter, camping trip, stargazing, skydiving and traveling the world. Some crazy stuffs like making Lexus and France wear a tank top on winter, skinny dipping in the ocean at night, painting France truck into barbie pink, selling Athena online and posting Caleb's naked baby picture online. 

"Why are you laughing?" Toby's word cutting her silly thoughts, she was too engrossed with her list to notice that the boy had been staring at her all this time.  

"Oh nothing," she said, fighting the urge to laugh out loud again. 

"What?" Toby eyed her suspiciously, snatching the list on her hand before she could even stop him. 

"Hey, that's not fair," But Toby was already suppressing a little laugh as he scanned the list on his hand. Luna watches him contentedly, the smile on his face lighting the room like a complete ray of sunshine. 

Two sheets of paper and a few bicke later, the two of them were reading their list out loud. Exchanging wishful thinking and getting lost in the sound of each other's laughter while reading out loud the words written on their papers.

"I want to see a panda," Toby said with a determined look on his face.

"Why panda? I mean you can see Lions, elephants or even giraffe so why panda?"

"I don't know, they look interesting to me and they're cute," he answered, pinching the bridge of her nose lightly for the second time. 

"Okay, mine's swimming with dolphins."

"But baby, you'll scare them away," Toby teased earning an eye roll from her.

"I want to go in a road trip like dad did when he was younger," she smiled at the thought of taking Stella (the car) to an adventure, just her and Toby driving into the unknown.  

"I want to see the Northern Lights," 

"Ride a hot air balloon!"

"I want to see State Champs in concert," Luna tried her best not to spoil her mini surprise for him, she was planning to tell him about it during the prom. After all, she needed to be sure that he will be fit enough to attend the concert with her. 

"I want to crash into a party!" Luna could see them crashing into one, their friends would be more than willing to join in the fun.  

"It's your turn Cooper," she reminded when Toby stayed silent, his eyes looking intently at her, holding her gaze captive effortlessly. 

"You," he answered softly, Luna's brow knitted in confusion making the boy laugh as he pulled her closer to him. Resting his head on her shoulder and arms wrapped around her waist.

"What?" she asked, still not realizing what Toby was trying to say.

"You're such a slowpoke Miss Greene,"

"Take it seriously Cooper,"

"I'm serious, Miss Greene,"

"Ugh! Just tell me To---"

"I want to marry you," Toby's word stopping her protest. His forehead resting on hers and his ragged breathing matching the uneven beathing of her heart. The words sinking into every ounce of her entire existence, wondering if it was another dream that she wishes not to wake up from. 

"Hey what's wrong?" Toby was wiping her tears away; she wasn't even sure why the hell she was crying as she clings to his arms for dear life. 

"You're not kidding right? You really want to marry me?" she asked pulling away from him, staring at her favorite shade of blue despite the tears clouding her vision. Toby did not say a word as he captured her lips on his in a heartbeat. 

His kisses sending her into a different world every single time. She could feel his tongue slipping into her mouth that catches her off guard, Luna matching his pace, wondering if she was doing it right when she heard a soft moan escaping Toby's lips. Unlike his usual tender and playful kisses, today felt more intense, sensual and desperate, like his lips was trying to convey the feelings that was left unspoken for years. She can get lost in those kisses forever, it was addicting, something that she's never felt before, and Luna doesn't want it to stop, but Toby pulled away from her first, desperately catching his breath as he rested his forehead on hers. 

"I told you; I wouldn't wish any companion in this life but you Luna. I want you Luna Eliana Greene, I want us. I want all of you and only you Miss Greene," and she knew that Toby meant everything that he said that day, because truth be told Luna felt the same way. She wanted him as much as he wanted her. In this lifetime and the next one, Luna never wants anyone else but him. 

"Stop quoting Shakespeare, you dork!" she said not waiting for his response, pulling him to her as she captured his lips with her own, this time it was Luna who kissed him first. Tears dripping down her cheeks, her heart felt like bursting from pure joy and the piercing pain that follows, a not-so-subtle reminder of the unknown future that was waiting for them. But Luna let herself drown in the drug that was named Toby, drowning into the depth of his despair not knowing how it will torment her for a lifetime.