Chapter 30

Toby's condition had been making small progress for the past two weeks that she was with him, and after tomorrow's examination, he can go back to school again much to her relief.  

"Luna? I'm bringing Timmy home, you sure you'll be alright on your own?" Tyra soft voice broke her out of her trance. Luna's been staying in Toby's room after school, and only leaving him late at night when Toby was asleep. Tyra enjoys her company, the two of them had been spending a lot of time talking and gossiping that it was hard not to get attached to her even for the short time that they had known each other.  

Luna stood up from her seat leaving the comfort of Toby's cold hands as she crossed the room and wrapped her arms around the woman and the now sleeping Timmy. The action caught Tyra off guard before she heard a small chuckle escaped her lips that made Luna smiled faintly.

"I'll be fine Tyra,"

"I'll be back before you leave, okay?" Tyra would usually come back before Caleb comes to pick her up every night, it was a routine that they had gotten used to for the past two weeks. It was hard to talk things out with her family at first, especially when it was about Toby's condition, but Caleb never go against her will and supported her in any way that he can.

Tyra left the room with Timmy after giving Toby and Luna a kissed on their heads with a promise of bringing take outs from McDonald's for their late-night dinner. Luna was used to being alone with Toby now, on most days, Athena, France and Lexus would take turns in accompanying the two of them but today was one of the days that she gets to spend it alone with him. 

In the past two weeks, Luna learned quite a lot of things about Toby. For instance, Toby's grandparents on her mother's side were one of the shareholders of Oakwood's Medical Hospital. She was bewildered at first but the way the medical staffs treated Toby with utmost respect and care was enough proof of his claims. Second, his father was a neurosurgeon but died in an accident five years ago, and the year after his father's death, his older brother Thomas followed shortly. And the cafe that was just outside the hospital was named after him, Tyra manages the cafe on her free time but mostly left it into the care of her employees. 

"Remember when you let me borrow your shirt in sophomore year because my prank backfired on me, and my shirt was painted with neon pink paint? You were laughing so hard that time, you were so happy that it made me happy as well, it's cute you know. Your laugh I mean," she started mumbling while resting her head on the space next to Toby's sleeping figure, "—should we go on a date?" She asked wondering if Toby could hear her. Making a mental note to ask Toby out when he wake up with a silly smile on her face already picturing Toby and her on their first date.

"Are you asking me out Miss Greene?" Toby's muffled voice startling her, the boy was up after almost four hours of sleep thanks to his medicine that the nurse injected a while ago. 

"Hey, are you awake now?" she asked playfully, seeing a faint smile on his lips as he slowly opens his eyes. 

"Yeah," Luna placed his glasses on him carefully, watching his eyes focusing on her in an instant.

"Good morning sleepyhead," Luna leaned closer to him, placing a gentle kiss on his forehead and watching Toby's flushed face in the process. It was such a joy, seeing Toby's reaction every time that she does something that makes his heart flutter. Wondering how he can hide his emotions so well for four years without her noticing when she was practically throwing herself on him every chance that she gets. 

"Good morning, what were you mumbling about while I'm asleep?" he teases, wondering how much Toby heard from her little mumbling. 

"Nothing?" 

"Luna,"

"Toby?"

"Should I say it for you Miss Greene?" she was so used to him being docile for the past few days that his playfulness slipped her mind, Toby enjoys teasing her in more ways than one.

"Fine, but don't you dare say no," Toby watches her with anticipation, Luna don't have anything to lose right now, Toby likes her as much as she likes him. Asking him out on a date shouldn't be so hard, except for the fact that it was her first time asking someone's out. She didn't even go on too many dates in her lifetime, aside from that one time with her brother's friend back in freshmen year. 

"Tobias Cooper, go on a date with me," She muttered softly, a nervous smile on her lips, watching his eyes staring widely at her. Silence reigned between them, her nervous smile turning into a frown, she was so sure that Toby would say yes, but his silence was too disheartening for her to bear with. 

"He---"

"Water," Toby uttered breathlessly, cutting her words before she could even scold him. He looks like a fish gasping for air and for a moment, Luna was scared that something was terribly wrong with him.

"Hey, what's wrong? Are you okay?" 

"Wa--ter,"

"What?" 

"I need water Luna," his words sinking into her head, quickly grabbing the half-empty pitcher of water on his bedside table and offering him a glass of water that Toby down in one sitting.

This is not how it's supposed to be, she thought, fighting the urge to leave the room and wallowed on her own self-pity.  Toby and his mean way of turning her world upside down was getting worse by the day. 

"Yes, I'll go on a date with you Miss Greene," Toby muttered bashfully, his flustered face and unwavering eyes looking intently at her. 

"You said yes, right?" Luna couldn't hide her excitement as he wrapped him gently in her arms.  The boy surrendered into her warmth without much of a fight. Toby likes cuddling with her; he may be taller and bigger than her, but in her small arms, Toby looks just like a child. 

"How can I say no to you Miss Greene? Now, what should I do with you?" Toby pulled her closer to him, burying her face onto her neck, his breath sending shivers down her spine as he planted a soft kiss on her exposed skin. 

"What do you think you're doing now, Cooper?" The more she gets to spend more time with him, the more his habits show, Toby likes kinship a lot, he likes holding her hands or any part of her when they were in the same space. He was particularly playful at times and would love to tease her when he can. 

"Kissing your neck?" He stated matter-of-factly, planting another kiss on the crook of her neck that she enjoys a little too much. 

"Are you ready for tomorrow?" She asked, trying her hardest to distract her mind of his small kisses. 

"It's just a test Luna, I'll be fine. Do you want me to be back at school already?" Toby asked curiously, his glasses slipping on the tip of his nose, his gazed never leaving hers even for a second. 

"Of course, it's not the same without you, Cooper," his seat had been vacant for far too long now, aside from them, the teachers already knew about Toby's condition. She was scared to have him back in Sheldon, but Luna doesn't want things to stop him from doing anything. It was painful enough to see him listening in silence when they would talk about stuffs that's been happening at school in his absence. 

"I'll be back before you know it, so don't start flirting with someone else, you hear me, Miss Greene?"  

"You're and idiot Cooper," How can she even think about flirting with someone else when his existence alone takes up the entirety of her world that it was impossible for anyone to catch her attention like how he does so effortlessly. 

"I'm your idiot Miss Greene," Toby replied cheekily, showering her face with kisses that she's been looking forward to in their everyday routine. Their laughter filling the room in an instant, and for a moment, Luna felt like everything will be alright.