Chapter 20

Luna was beyond hopeless, a fact that she can now accept wholeheartedly as she stared blankly at the rock-hard substance that was supposed to be a cake. In her defense, it was her first time trying out baking, and it was pure luck that she hadn't burned the house yet but seeing the frustrated look on her brother's face, Luna did not dare to speak up.

Toby's 18th birthday will be held the following week, and Luna had a brilliant idea to personally bake a cake for him. Well, at least that's what she was trying to do on her precious weekend.

"How the hell did you mess it up again!? I even measured everything myself! Oh god, you're just unbelievable Luna!" Caleb nagging was enough to numb her ears, though she couldn't really blame him since they've been up early for this little project of her. Wasting almost three kilos of flour and other ingredients in the process, she was so sure that Caleb was a minute away from wringing her neck.

"Hey, I just followed the instructions. Maybe your cookbook was wrong and not me," Luna run to the other side of the kitchen counter, far away from Caleb who had enough of her and her pathetic excuses.

"You litt-"

"Wow, you haven't burned the house yet! I'm proud of you babe!" The twins turned their heads to the baritone voice of Lexus wearing a matching SpongeBob yellow shorts and T-shirt and pink fluffy slippers, the boy looks comically adorable that doesn't match his big stature. Lexus usually dressed up like this on a weekend, he basically lives on the street next to them that it no longer surprised them every time he came over unannounced.

"Gee, thanks babe," Luna throw him an apple from the counter, Lexus catches it effortlessly as he occupied one of the bar stools. Taking his time scanning the mess that she created so early in the morning.

"Lexus is here, so I'm out of this mess," Caleb removed his apron and tossed it hurriedly in the counter. He was so ready to leave the kitchen away from her, but Luna was quick to grab his arms, pulling him back to the kitchen with all her might.

"Lulu don't give up on me yet," Luna whined as he holds onto him for dear life, Lexus watching them with an amused look on his face.

"Why don't you just buy him a freaking cake!? That way we can save a lot of money and time,"

"I want to bake a cake for him and don't ask me why!" There was no special reason on why Luna decided to bake a cake for Toby, truth be told, she just wants him to praise her even though it was looking a little too far from reality now. Her cooking and baking skill was next to none.

"Just help her Caleb, you know just how stubborn she is," Lexus chimed in still munching on his half-eaten apple.

"Do I have a choice? Mom will kill me for real if she comes home on a burning house" Luna let her brother's remark pass as they started measuring all the ingredients all over again. More like Caleb's measuring everything all over again just to make sure that she wouldn't mess things up.

An hour later, another freshly bake cake based came out of the oven. Caleb looks relieved seeing that the batch this time wasn't as bad as the previous one, the cake based itself looks edible and normal. No one dare to touch the cake first but Lexus, who seems a little conflicted about the task, Caleb had enough tasting for the entire day that she couldn't force him to take a bite of her cake base.

"This is not that bad, probably need more sugar though," Lexus commented which made Luna grin like a five-year-old child. After three more failed attempts to do the cake itself, she just can't help but felt proud and relieved.

"Are you sure?" she asked, a little unsure if her best friend was telling her the truth or if he was just being nice and considerate of her hopelessness.