Chapter 38

A tapping sound hitting the window repeatedly, Luna wakes up with a groan, cursing under her breath as she buried her head deeper into the mattress. She hadn't gotten enough sleep after a whole week spent inside Toby's room, taking care of him at night and going to class in the morning. After their trip to Sta Ana two weeks ago, Toby has to return to the hospital because of the flu. It was bad, the boy was sent to the ICU for a day because he was having a hard time breathing, and Luna couldn't stop blaming herself for how things turned out. After all, it was her idea to go see State Champs in concert.

Although she would rather be next to him in his hospital room than in the comfort of her bed, Tyra was adamant about sending her back home, at least for the night.

The noise didn't stop, and as much as she wanted to go back to sleep, it was nearly impossible because of the sound coming from her window. Luna walked sleepily towards the frosted glass, ignoring the chills that graze her exposed skin from the air coming from the AC blasting inside her room.

Luna rubbed her eyes a few times, wondering if her mind was playing tricks on her again. Because she could see the familiar features of the boy who she had left in the hospital room earlier that night. He was standing there, in his green beanie, and a pair of black tracksuits, a familiar white scarf wrapped around his neck. Surely, there must have been some mistake, as if recognizing her confusion, the boy grinned at the sight of her peering slightly on the half-opened window. Without thinking Luna ran out of her room grabbing a thick sweater out of her closet and a scarf as she descended the stairs carefully not wanting to wake the whole house as she stepped outside still in her pajamas and bunny slippers.

"What are you doing here? Oh my god please tell me you didn't escape the hospital, Cooper!" the words flying out of her mouth in complete disarray, overthinking about all the possible reasons why Toby was outside her house at freaking two in the morning. He was standing in front of her with a sheepish grin that made her frown, his arms finding their way into her waist, pulling her effortlessly into his warm embrace.

"What's wrong? Toby? Everything's okay?" She asked, the growing lump in her throat making it harder for her to speak. Toby stifled a giggle, the sound of his laughter echoing into every fiber of her existence, calming her senses a little but her mind was still at a loss about his sudden appearance.

"Happy Birthday Miss Greene," the words that Toby spoke rendered her speechless as it sinks ever so slowly into her brain.

Is that supposed to be today? Luna was too preoccupied with Toby's condition that everything else looks less significant but still, how could she forget her and her brother's birthday of all things? Caleb will definitely throw a fit about her forgetful tendency.

"Oh my god," she was completely dumbfounded, Toby's smiling happily at the sight of her. Pulling him headfirst as they shared a heartfelt kiss with the stars above as their witness.

"Thank you," she mumbled, their foreheads pressed together, still catching their breath from the kissed that they just shared.

"No, thank you Luna," Toby replied, stealing one more kiss leaving her smiling like a fool, understanding everything that Toby wanted to convey in that simple word of gratitude.

"Wait, you didn't escape, are you?"

"Nope, mom drove me here," he smiled proudly, pointing to the woman sitting on the driver seat who waved at her earnestly.

"Happy Birthday honey," she greeted her with a warm hug and a kissed on her cheeks that she gotten used to by now. The Cooper's and their affections warm her heart.

"Thank you, Tyra, I really appreciate you,"

"Oh dear, anything for you," Tyra pulled her into another hug as they watched Toby running towards the back seat of the car, seconds later, he was walking back to her side with a big smile on his face, hiding something big behind his back.