Chapter 62

Asher's POV

I can't believe I start my classes at The city college of New York on Monday, I don't care that it isn't some fancy school, I went for the most affordable and I think I can make it work. I want a fresh start and to do it right. This place is slowly becoming home to me and I don't think I ever want to leave this place. It's peaceful here, the loud beeps of cars, the birds chirping in the morning and I've made some good friends so far.

The guy Ethan, my next door neighbour is pretty chill. He's a few years older which made me realise I actually get along with people older than me, the people I hung around with before was the same age and they were so immature wanting to party and take drugs but Ethan, he goes to work and comes home. His girlfriend Laura is pretty chill too. She's a thin blonde and doesn't get on my nerves surprisingly. Like Julia use too, even though she got on my nerves it kept me on my toes and I actually begun to love it, i think it will always be her.

I've met a few people at the cafe where I work, Jack my coworker is a party animal but it doesn't bother me because he has some funny stories and always keeps me laughing, I've badly wanted to have a drink with him but I haven't and I won't start now when I've been doing so good.

Having Julia here would have made my time here one hundred times better than it is right now, or Ace. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my best friend as well but I put that on myself and he hurt my sister. I wonder what he's doing...I hope he is keeping well, I shouldn't miss him after what he done to my sister but I do. I miss our inside jokes, I miss chilling out as we played Xbox or watched tv shows, he was practically like my twin and now I don't have one.

My mum can't wait until I start college, I think she's more excited than I am. She seems so much happier now that Ken isn't bothering her, he's probably wondering where I am but he'll see me soon with this court date coming up. I haven't told my mother but it's only a matter of time.

"Hi Asher!" Laura says coming through the door with grocery bags wrapped on her arms.

"Hey" I nod and focus on the tv ahead.

"Hi babe" Ethan stands up going to help his girlfriend.

"Hi" she smiles and pecks his lips, they both disappear into the kitchen.

I've been hanging out with Ethan a lot recently and it's taking my mind off Julia a lot and other things I guess. I'm beginning to think I can actually do this...scratch that, I know I can, I'm so positive I can get through all of this.

My phone rings on the coffee table next to my fresh cup of coffee, it's mum. I'm guessing she's wanting to speak about college and ask me pointless questions because she's excited about me started classes fairly soon. When I answer I hear complete silence than her usual Hi sweetie or Hi hunny.

"Mum?" I says confused, I can hear her breathing lightly and when she sniffles I know she's been crying or is crying, "Mum, what's wrong?" I sit up.

"It's Camila.."

"What? What about her? Is she okay?" It panics me to think that maybe there is another baby and if there is it was break my heart, but it couldn't be. She's been so focused on studies and hasn't said a word of any boys except Aiden and he's just a friend to her.

"She's in the hospital..." mum begins to cry again.

It feels like someone has stuck a knife my chest, a thousand possibilities circling my head,  "Why?" My voice coming out shaky. All she does is cry and it makes my eyes water, I hate hearing her cry.

"S-She..." she stutters.

"Mum" I warn.

"She took pills, I'm such a terrible mother. I don't even know when my babies are hurting" she says between cries.