Sore Knees

They'd hardly been crawling for a further minute, when something caught her attention.

"Hang on, there's something up there." Autumn called back to Minho, as she sped up.

She soon realised that what she saw was light shining into the vent, there was a smaller opening than the one they'd previously entered through.

As she prised open the vent door, sending it clattering to the ground, her body relaxed, when she realised where they'd ended up.

"No way. That's my room." Autumn shouted back to Minho.

"That must mean mines a little further up."

"I never even knew there was a vent in my room."

After crawling past a few other vent doors, Autumn stopped at one.

"If my calculations are correct, this should lead to your room." Autumn spoke, before opening the vent door in front of her.

"Bingo."

"This is so cool, now we can visit each other whenever we like." Minho spoke with full enthusiasm.

"I guess that is kind of cool." Autumn replied, as a smile broke onto her face.

"Let's keep going, I wanna find some new places."

"Alright, I'm on it."

They kept crawling through the vents, silently, occasionally coughing from all the dust.

Autumn stopped as she found the vent split off, leaving two separate paths.

"What do we do?" Autumn whispered.

"Let's take the left."

"You better be right about this." Autumn sighed, as she turned left.

"I'm right about everything, I'm Minho." He replied, in a cocky voice.

"Hmm."

The crawling continued for another three minutes until an alarm started blaring.

"That couldn't be us, could it?" Autumn asked, turning to face him.

Quickly checking his watch he responded, "Shuck, it's 10 past 9."

"Dammit."

They both turned around and began crawling in the opposite direction, after a few minutes they made it back to Minho's vent door.

"I can't believe we didn't find anything." He spoke sadly.

"Maybe next time, yeah?" Autumn replied, trying to cheer up the boy.

"Really?" Minho asked eagerly.

"Sure, why not? It was fun."

With that she turned around, and continued crawling to her vent door. Leaving Minho with a smile edged upon his face.

~

It was the next morning, her and Newt were walking to one of the lab rooms they worked in.

"Minho told me about the vent system, you discovered yesterday." Newt began, as they crossed the corridor.

"Oh yeah, almost got us in trouble with Rat Man though."

"That alarm was for you?" Newt asked curiously.

"Yep, kinda got in the way of our adventure."

"We should all search the vents, that way we can cover more ground." Newt suggested.

"That's such a good idea, spread the word, 7pm Minho's room." Autumn finished as she pushed open the door.

Saying goodbye to Newt, they both went their separate ways across the rooms.

Sitting at her desk, she pulled out a piece of paper.

7pm your room
we're going to explore the vents with everyone
-Autumn

Crumpling up her newly written note, she slid it across the table, making it land in Minho's lap.

I'm glad to see you keeping your promise
-Minho

Said the note that landed back in Autumn's lap.

She smiled at it before going back to her work.

~

Her watch displayed the time she'd meet Minho, 7pm.

Opening up the vent beneath her bed, she began to crawl though, counting the vent doors on her left.

"Where's Autumn? She's never usually late." She heard Minho speak, clear worry in his voice.

"I'm sure she's fine, she's probably just running late. She is a girl after all." Thomas joked, as she heard Minho's bed creak.

"What if she got caught? What if they're punishing her? What if-" Minho spoke, pacing his room as he voiced every concern he had.

"What if she's right here?" Autumn replied, pushing open the vent door.

"Bloody hell, Autumn." Newt yelled, as all the boys jumped at her sudden entrance.

Autumn looked down at her watch, "It's still 7, not even a minute past, I wasn't even late." She rolled her eyes at the boys, crawling back into the vent.

"Come on, slow coaches." She called back to the guys still in Minho's room, her voice echoed loudly around the vent walls.

"It's exploring time." Autumn smiled, as she looked back at Minho, who's crawled in after her.

He was sporting his famous signature smile, reaching from ear to ear. His dimples becoming more prominent, the more she stared.