Being A Badass Comes With Responsiblity

It was almost 9:30, so they all made their way back to the room they'd all met in earlier.

Autumn and Newt were at the back of the group.

"So, why do you think they want us, in particular?" Autumn was the first to break the silence.

"Honestly I don't bloody know. You'd think a bunch of qualified adults would be more useful." Newt replied, as they began to walk up another flight of stairs.

"Jesus, how big is this place." Autumn's legs had started to ache from all the stairs she'd climbed.

"I think we're almost there, can't be much further surely."

Newt was right. It was only a matter of minutes before they arrived at the room.

Minho, who was at the front of the group, looked back at Autumn before dramatically knocking on the door.

Dr Paige opened the door, moving aside for them to enter. "Please take a seat."

Autumn found herself on a slightly more comfortable chair than the ones outside, beside Minho and Gally.

Miss Paige explained WCKD's ideas of creating some mazes, the reason for this, and the outcome they were hoping for.

She made sure to constantly remind them how important it was to get the cure.

She left out a lot of important details, so that the kids in front of her didn't become suspicious or come up with any reason to be against their idea.

Roughly an hour later, Autumn was sat at a computer drafting ideas for the layout of the maze.

"Well done, Thomas." She heard Dr Paige congratulating the brunette, that was on the other side of the room.

"That's gotta be the fifth time today." Minho poked his head over their computers to make eye contact with Autumn, he was working opposite her.

"Told you you weren't the special one." Autumn replied with a smirk.

"No fair. My designs are way better than his." Minho slumped back into his chair.

"Well apparently not." Autumn chuckled at how easy it was to tease him.

Minho slid on his chair, moving it around the table so he was on Autumn's side.

He moved a little too fast, and ended up bashing into Autumn's chair, knocking her slightly.

"I really wish they didn't give us chairs with wheels." She spoke, as she playfully pushed Minho.

"Oooh I like this idea." Minho pointed to the lookout tower she'd designed.

"Thanks, I thought it would be good to have a place to be alone and think." Autumn lent back in her chair, admiring her designs.

She was proud of them, even if Miss Paige didn't think anything of them.

"Do you do that often? Thinking alone, I mean." Minho had turned his attention back to the girl.

"Whenever I can." Autumn glanced at Minho before continuing, "There's this roof that I found, accidentally, it has the perfect setting for thinking."

"Do tell me more." Minho was getting more intrigued with every word.

"Well, it's not too big but not too small, it's quite far away from any commotion, so you can only hear the wind and the trees. But the best bit is, if you're there at the right time, the sunset is beautiful. I guess that's where I got my inspiration from." Autumn finished by pointing at the lookout tower design on her screen.

"I want to come." Minho blurted out.

Autumn was taken by surprise, but responded quickly. "Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of the 'alone thinking'?"

"I'll be silent." Minho seemed determined.

"You? Silent?" Autumn laughed.

"Hey! I can be quiet." Minho acted offended, but he knew she was right.

"Minho, Autumn, get back to work, I won't tell you again." Dr Paige had spotted them slacking.

Minho skidded back around the table, to his spot.

Autumn went back to her designs, making subtle changes here and there, until something caught her eye.

A piece of paper was sliding across the table towards her, landing in her lap.

Picking it up cautiously, she eyed Dr Paige, making sure she wasn't looking.

It read:

What time should I meet you at your room tonight?

It also had three boxes underneath, with writing next to each of them.

*box 1* 10pm
*box 2* 11pm
*box 3* shuck off

- Mean-Hoe

Autumn silently chuckled at the last box, and the nickname he used.

She took a moment to think before ignoring all three of the boxes, and drawing her own. She ticked it before writing next to it.

*box 4* midnight

- Aut

Sneakily checking to see if anyone was watching, she slid the paper back to Minho.

She heard him writing again, and smiled as she waited for the paper.

It slid back over to her and read:

You're a badass Aut.

She smiled for what felt like the fifth time in the space of two minutes.

Her mind wondered to the Rat-Man, she knew she'd get in trouble for being out of her room past 9, but Minho was worth it.