Fate was Cruel

They'd received news from Thomas that Newt was ok. Or ok in the sense that he'd lived. Thomas hadn't told them in person of course, he didn't dare show his face again. But instead slid a note under their door, sometime in the late afternoon.

Autumn had had this feeling of dread circling her stomach all day, and whilst she tried to focus on Minho's fingers curling through her hair, it just wasn't distraction enough.

They knew Newt was ok, and that was all that mattered. He was ok, and he was alive. Maybe he wasn't safe, no one was ever safe from WICKED. But who was safe these days? He was breathing and that was enough.

But this feeling of dread still hadn't strayed.

She'd gone to sleep hoping that in the morning it would have passed. That maybe it was just from worrying about Newt, and it hadn't had the time to leave yet.

But, morning came, and it was still there.

Autumn wasn't unfamiliar with the feeling of fear that was currently settled in her stomach, or at least she thought it was fear. But there was something different about this; it was telling her something was coming.

Regardless, she brushed it off and didn't mention it to Minho. Not wanting to worry or freak him out more than necessary.

"Stop moving!" Minho shoved her leg with his foot, and he attempted to draw her.

"Hey!" Autumn struck back with both her feet.

"You are an impossible model." Minho mumbled as he brushed little pieces of rubber of his page.

"I didn't offer to be one. I was just innocently minding my business, reading a book, and then suddenly I'm being shouted at for moving." Autumn peered over her book, to fix Minho with a glare.

"Not fault you were sitting there looking beautiful." Minho continued to scribble away at his pad, as he leaned back into the bed. "The sunlight hits you perfectly there."

Autumn couldn't hold back her smile at the sincerity of his words. She didn't feel like breaking this moment, so instead of speaking, she just smiled at his focused face, and went back to reading.

After about 10 minutes they decided it was probably time for breakfast.

"Hey wait! I want to see that drawing." Autumn called to Minho from the bathroom.

"Not a chance, it's not nearly finished, Aut." Minho shrugged on his jumper, before meeting her with the sweetest grin.

"Really? You've been at it for a while." Autumn dragged out, as she grabbed his hand and pulled him down the corridor.

"You'll show me when it's finished though, right?" She looked up at the boy, and Minho was almost surprised at how adorable she looked in that moment.

"Of course." Pulling her close, he pressed a kiss to her head.

"Pass me a packet of butter, would you?" Autumn asked as she dumped some toast onto her plate.

"Here." Minho chucked the butter packet onto her plate, before reached over her tray to grab the milk.

As they made their way to a free table, Autumn really allowed herself the moment to look around. She wanted to be surprised at how few people they were, compared to before- but she wasn't.

"Oh damn these coco pops are good today. Open up." Minho scooped a bunch onto his spoon and held them up to Autumn's mouth.

"Are you seriously going to feed me like a baby?" Autumn smiled at his behaviour, eyeing the cereal on his spoon.