Sleepless Nights

It had been a sleepless night for Autumn. She'd woke twice, drenched in a cold sweat. As well as, once, where she'd ended up spilling her dinner into the toilet. Most likely, she'd managed about 5 hours of sleep. Which on most days would be fine, but with the current situation, was not helping.

Her feet dried, as she stepped out of the steaming shower, and onto the fresh towel laying on her tiled floor. She felt bile rise up the back of her throat as she faced her reflection. She'd never been the most confident girl, but never had she been more disgusted with her appearance.

Her eyes were puffy, from what she assumed were some mid-nightmare tears. Purple littered her eye bags, showing her obvious sleep deprived night. Whilst red was scattered across her eyelids, from her constant rubbing of them. Her auburn hair was ruffled and knotted, even though she'd never much bothered doing any more than brushing it, it clearly needed more work today. Rubbing her eyebrow, she grabbed her toothbrush. Before attempting to make herself look less dead.

She couldn't bring herself to do more than wet her face and brush her hair, before she gave up. Not that she had anything else to use anyway.

Trudging over the her drawer, she pulled out the first few clothes she could see, before dressing her aching body. It was only 8, although it felt like earlier. Cursing herself for not getting more sleep, she reluctantly made her way over to Minho's room.

"Hey." Minho beamed, energetically, clearly on a few more hours sleep than the girl before him.

Autumn only gave him a curt nod, before walking past him, towards the other body in room.

"Woah, Autumn, you okay?" Minho stopped the girl, as she attempted to walk away from him again.

"Didn't sleep." Was all she could muster, as she feebly rubbed at her already swollen eye.

Minho only then noticed how different she looked, how ill she looked. Her swollen eyes, puffy cheeks, untamed hair, and purple bags.

"Autumn, I think we should talk about this." Minho pressed.

He'd seen the girl broken before, but never without reason. Or at least, a reason he couldn't see. It pained him to look at her like this, surely just a sleepless night couldn't do this?

"Later." Autumn muttered, anxious to move away from this topic.

Minho nodded at her, his eyes searching hers for any slight information. But they were just empty.

"Autumn." Gally greeted her, an initial content look in his eyes, which quickly changed to worry.

Newt also turned to look at her, his own greeting caught in his mouth at the sight of her face.

"Let's go." Autumn stated. Her voice cracking slightly at her attempt at more than a whisper.

Making her way through the boys, she pried the vent door off, and crawled in. "Hey, Minho, what's up with Autumn?" Frypan asked, his voice quiet enough so the girl wouldn't hear him.

"I'm not sure. She said she didn't sleep well, but she looks ill. I'm worried." He replied, his eyes switching from the boy, to the vent where she'd just went. "I'll find out later." Minho finished, his eyes moving back to the group.

"Tell us asap." Newt added, as he entered the vent.

"Will do." Minho responded, his brain noting the feeling of the metal beneath his hands.

"We need to figure out a plan, and quickly." Minho demanded, he seemed to have taken charge.

Autumn didn't mind, she was far too tired to be the leader today. As Minho continued his speech, Autumn clocked a brown blanket behind Newt.

"Hey, Newt." Autumn whispered, waiting for his acknowledgment of her before continuing.

"Pass me that blanket, will you? Thank you."

Autumn's muscles instantly relaxed at the warmth the cover brought her. She drew her attention back to Minho, trying to listen to his train of thought. Although, this seemed a challenge, she kept zoning in and out as her head bobbed at it's attempt to fall asleep.

The more she heard Minho talk, the harder she found it to stay awake. She flashed Minho one more glance before her eyes shut for good. Her head slumped against Minho's right shoulder, sleep taking over her whole body.

All heads turned to her, as Minho stopped speaking. As soon as he noticed she was asleep a faint smile danced along his lips. Careful not to wake her, he moved her head so it was laying in his lap, instead of atop his shoulder. Stealthily, the boy tucked a stray auburn curl behind her ear, allowing her freckles cheeks a little more exposure. Quickly averting his eyes, he continued to talk to the boys.

"Autumn, hey, Autumn. Wakey wakey." Minho whispered, as he stroked her red strands.

"Hm?" The girl replied. Hey eyes still defiantly shut, cheeks red from sleep.

"We gotta go." Minho whispered again.

Autumn finally opened her eyes at the sound of metal clanging, only to be met with Minho's brown eyes staring right back. He was awfully close, not that she minded all that much.

"We've gotta get going, so we're not late." Minho told her again, pushing the dark blanket of her sleepy body.

Autumn's body filled with dread, wishing for nothing but another hours sleep, anything to get away from that room.

Frowning, she pushed herself upright, taking Minho's outstretched hand, and hauling herself onto her feet. Stretching her back, her body ached, probably from the odd sleeping position. Her eyes looked weak and distant, as she brushed past Minho, and entered the vent behind him.

Brown eyes glued to the floor, as she trudged down the hallway. Minho by her side, eyeing her curiously.

"Autumn, what's wrong?" The boy asked, gently.

Autumn looked into his eyes, soon realising he wasn't going to take anymore of her excuses. "I'm just scared, ok? Is that what you wanted to hear? I'm scared. I'm scared that we'll get caught and they'll torture us, and it'll happen again. Only worse, and I don't think I could take it again."

Minho's heart broke for the girl, he wished he could make her feel safe. He wished he knew how to make all her problems go away.

"You know I won't let that happen."

"Minho, there's some things even you can't control." Autumn sighed, wishing she could believe the boy's words, true or not.

"Autumn, listen to me." Minho spoke seriously, stoping in his place and turning to stop Autumn too. "None of us will let them hurt you again. I promise." Minho didn't break their eye contact, hoping his promise wasn't just words.

"I don't know Minho. You couldn't stop them last time-" Autumn started, her eyes leaving his and wondering to his right.

"But now we're prepared, or at least we will be. We know what we're up against. We won't let them touch you." His arms were on either side of her elbows now, wanting to shake the girl until she understood the weight of his words.

"Fill me in on the plan, would you?" Autumn asked, beginning to walk down the hall again. Minho joined her again, with a rather content look on his face.