Keith - Static and Sound pt. 1

Word Count: 5,212

Pffft a good picture for this story?? Naaa, y'all can comment if ya found a better one to fit!

...

If it wasn't blatantly obvious by now, Keith hated parties.

He'd never been a huge fan of the idea of bodies crammed against one another in one space, the air choked with the sounds of conversation, and the mere thought of never knowing who was behind him was nearly enough to make him vomit.

He didn't like parties.

He hated parties.

Should he say again how much he hated them?

But of course, being an intergalactic savior to a planet of formerly Galra slaves, he kinda fell through on suggesting the idea of sitting out for the celebration.

Er- at least, Shiro had been sure to talk to him about sticking around before they'd left.

It was the least they could do after being invited in the first place.

It'd been roughly a month since the paladins had taken back another planet from the Galra Empire. Voltron had managed to shake them free from being forced to mine for their own resources in exchange for their lives and Keith wasn't going to deny the people had a long road to recovery when he'd seen them last, the lush, teal planet shrinking out of sight from the castle's sensors another job in the day of a paladin well done-

He was probably the only one who was surprised to receive an invitation from that exact same place months later, the transmission from one of the planet's high councilmen stating they had recovered enough to to the point of being more than ready to welcome back their saviors with open arms and thank them for everything they'd done.

Of course, Keith read the underlined statement in those words.

A celebration.

A party for their troubles.

Flipping fantastic.

With an incredibly down mood and having no luck in convincing them that he stay put, Keith had no choice but to accept the fancy Altean clothes thrust into his arms by the princess seconds after the transmission ended. This was then followed by the overly cheerful statement that the people of that planet placed beauty and grace above all else and they needed to look elegant enough for all occasions.

("Especially with the bright promise of another alliance gained against Zarkon upon attending the event," Allura explained.)

One more step to defeating the Galra, Shiro gently reminded when the two of them were alone, the man's brown eyes seeing with far too much ease the distaste Keith had for going.

But, to be honest, it wasn't hard to see just how much he hated them.

Matter of fact, to be painfully frank he'd rather take on Zarkon's entire army singlehandedly with a butter knife and two broken arms if it meant he didn't have to go.

Course-

He still had to go.

But it was by the black paladin's repeated pressing that he even considered not dropping out when no one was looking.

They needed this alliance.

If he couldn't wear the itchy, lacy, too-tight Altean suit for himself, he'd at least wear it for the team.

Always for the team.

It'd been months since he'd been around new people apart from himself, he wouldn't deny they didn't get on his nerves from time to time (ahem, Lance), but he couldn't really find it in himself to say the new company wasn't something he'd been longing for since he'd lost- you know-