Keith x Nifa - From Here (Launch Date)

Word Count: 3,350

Keith has honestly no clue how he's gotten this far in life.

It's been a ride, huh?

They'd spent years up in space, battling giant robeasts, saving planets, forming an intergalactic coalition, meeting new races of aliens left and right, and defeating Zarkon and Lotor-

And within that time he'd managed to find his mother, take over as the leader of Voltron, and find so much confidence hidden within himself it was hard to realize that had been him doing all those things in the first place.

And the best part is they weren't done yet.

Not even close.

After recovering from rocketing the world-destroying bomb up and away from the Earth's atmosphere, and helping to build the planet's defenses back up from where it'd crumbled during the Galra invasion, it was decided both Voltron and the Atlas would go back up into space to defend Earth against the newest threat to their existence.

Honerva.

Taking her down would mean they wouldn't have to live in fear, the universe would have a chance to grow and expand without the threat of all of that being taken away from them in a single blink. That witch and her Alteans were dangerous, more deadly than anything they've ever faced before, and though Keith couldn't deny the uncertain twinging in his gut at the thought of going back up there to face the same force they couldn't hit since day one, he was calmed with the added thought they'd grown from that startled group landing on Arus all those years ago.

It was a nice reminder of how far they'd come.

He settled back further against the warm metal under him, fingers stroking senselessly through Cosmo's fur, the animal's eyes half-lidded, head resting on his paws.

It was almost easy to forget why he was here, sitting, perched on the nose of the black lion, watching the sun slowly sink into the horizon, setting the whole sky ablaze with color.

He still remembered when he'd used to do this with his Pa.

Just sitting on the highest peak of their two-story house watching the sunset. The shingles would always burn his back when they'd first get up, digging hot fingers into his skin. But the discomfort would always last a few minutes before the hot Arizona sun would calm, painting every inch of the sky with a new kind of fire, sinking below the horizon.

And then he'd spend hours more with Nifa long after his dad went to bed, pointing out constellations to one another. Most of them had just been ridiculous made-up ones they'd end up laughing over days after, neither of them scared for the future, just certain they'd go through it together-

He missed those times.

They seemed a lot simpler compared to what they were about to go through blasting back up into space.

But he wouldn't deny that now was any less important to him than then.

They needed to make a stand.

And with the paladins, spirit guide, and closest friends at each others' side, they were going to do it right.

They would put an end to this war.

They had to.

"Man you can be a real hard guy to find when you wanna be."

Keith's eyes never left the scene in front of him as the thumping footsteps on metal came to a stop beside him, the Cuban's voice sounding tired and worn out.

Just one more thing that's changed since they first went off into space.

"Hey, Lance- Whoa!" It was then he decided to turn around, catching sight of the teen standing beside him, "What- are you wearing?" Lance looked to be covered nearly head to toe in pots and pans, resembling some sort of crude armor a seven-year-old would put together sitting on the kitchen floor. A towel fastened at his neck made a crude cape flapping in a stray breeze and- was that sausage link around his neck?