Keith - Void of Dark

Word Count: 3,096

Mwa ha ha ha, back again with another photoshop masterpiece!! :D

It was originally a Sheith pic, so really it isn't mine, I just cut Shiro out of the pic, took off Keith's scar and added the one over his eye, and obviously changed Keith's eye color, but just- ahhhh, he's still so friggin cute/sad/adorable in this!!

Okay enough talking, let's get to the angst already!!

...

"I'm sorry."

There was a long stretch of silence after those words.

Keith shifted the mug gripped tightly in his hands, the ceramic warm against his fingertips. He could hear Shiro move his position on the bed beside him at his lack of an immediate answer, sheets rustling, the mattress jolting up and back down again before growing still once more a minute later, the change in the man's position enough to tell him he was nervous, no to mention the light shake in the captain's voice when he'd spoken.

Keith'd expected it though.

The last month or so had been hard enough without facing him. Between flying back to Earth and preparing for a war that could come any day now, along with nearing completion of the I.G.F Atlas, there wasn't much breathing space for Shiro these days.

And, to be completely honest, Keith hadn't expected Shiro to come as soon as he had, his face had more than likely been pressed into one of guilt since he'd stepped foot into the room, unable to keep his eyes off the teen as he took a seat on the edge of the bed he was propped up in.

Not to mention, he wasn't really- sure of how to continue with the gaping hole place between them since the fight. Shiro hadn't made any attempt to speak to him after it happened. It felt like it'd been years ago instead of only a few weeks.

It was uncomfortable for the both of them.

But for Keith, the wounds were still fresh.

Very, fresh.

Drawing back to the situation at hand, he took another breath, taking his time to raise the mug to take a sip from the hot liquid, touch hesitant till the rim found his lips before tilting a drop or two onto his tongue. The tea still too hot to really gain any flavor from it, but he didn't care much for what it tasted like, more searching for something to do while he thought over his next words carefully. As much as Keith knew he was coming off cold, he really didn't want to risk the shaky bridge they'd managed to build up between them since the accident to crumble.

Since-

"It's not your fault, Shiro," and it wasn't, the last thing Keith wanted was for the man to feel like he'd been the one to do this to him. Keith didn't blame him for what happened, and he wanted to get that thought voiced somehow. it- it was a good way to get things started, right?

"Not my-" Shiro scoffed, "Keith, I did this to you, how can it not be my fault?"

"Because you didn't know what you were doing," Keith shook his head, "I don't blame you, it wasn't your fault you lost yourself like that. You shouldn't beat yourself up over something that was out of your control. You've got enough on your plate right now than to add something else to it, you don't have to worry about me, I'll be fine," He hoped the man didn't catch the slight tightening in his voice.

"But I-" there as a shaky inhale of breath then, the sound of air hitting cupped fingers, and Keith imagined Shiro leaning forward on his knees, face pressed in his hands, another shuddered breath leaving his lips. "But it was me, I did this, I- I'm the one who made you blind, Keith."