Keith x Acira - Home

Word Count: 2,837

Season seven spoilers to anybody who hasn't seen it yet, did anyone else almost bawl their eyes out at the last episode, or was it just me?

...

I was running before the lions even hit the ground, even though I don't even remember sprinting out of the control room in the first place, but I was sure it happened at some point.

Shiro was somewhere, calling my name to come back through the communicator still in my ear, but I didn't listen, I couldn't, the only thing that seemed to run on repeat through my brain at that moment was how much I needed Keith, how much I wanted him to be alive, but all I could see was the explosion that rocked the ground, even though the massive robot was carried well out of the atmosphere, in my mind's eye, I kept seeing his lion dropping to the earth like a stone, purple streaks lighting the sky in some sick beauty as the lion fell, plummeting towards the ground and showing no signs of slowing down, I could still hear the entire team screaming in pain when, suddenly, I didn't hear anything at all.

"Keith!" I screamed into the comm. again, I couldn't hear Shiro's voice blaring through my ear every few seconds that I couldn't possibly run there in time before Keith crashed. He was right. I barreled out the only metal doors still intact after the Atlas's transformation, and fell on my knees onto the dusty ground just in time for the ear-shattering boom of all five lions crashing to the ground, smoke almost immediately swirling towards the heavens and I cried again, "Keith! Keith, answer me!" Silence greeted me; there wasn't static answering back like before he crashed.

Even Shiro didn't say anything anymore.

Ignoring the Atlas trying to get to its feet behind me, I ran faster, towards the closest column of smoke, just barely catching a glimpse of one of the bright red wings of the black lion, and the thoughts of Keith dying in the cockpit made me push myself to run faster.

I flapped my wings in a useless attempt to propel myself even further, falling to my knees as the force was greater than I had expected, but I didn't get back up, I was shaking so badly by this point I could barely even stand.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

He can't be dead, they just saved Earth, they should be celebrating, I should be hearing Lance's excited whoops and hollers, Hunk's saying how thankful he was to be back on the ground, Pidge's yes's as she celebrated, Allura's breathy sigh of relief that they did it, and Keith's "good job team" as he congratulated them all.

I should be hearing them, I should be hearing excitement and the applause of another job well-done by Voltron, instead I didn't hear anything. I didn't hear anything at all.

"Keith," my voice wasn't a yell anymore, and I almost laughed at how dull my own voice sounded now that the silence was closing in on me. "Keith," I repeated again, softer, and I felt the startlingly cold wetness of tears tracing down my cheeks, I barely noticed the car that had raced to a stop beside me. I said his name again, my voice now sticky with tears.

I think Veronica was trying to say something to me, but she couldn't get anything much out besides "get in, please. Lance, he-" she stopped, her voice on the verge of tears, mirroring my own emotion perfectly as she worried about Lance, and I curled into a ball on the ground, wishing somebody could kill me now. They had to be dead, there was no way they could have survived that blast.

"Acira, get in," a different voice said, a hand touched my shoulder as Shiro leaned down beside me, I looked up at him through my blurry vision, blinking the tears from my eyes as more replaced them almost immediately.