Shiro - To the Surface

Word Count: 2,605

If Shiro had to say anything about their current predicament, he'd probably go with surprised.

Yeah, he was surprised at where they were standing right then.

But maybe he should back up a few steps and explain what it took to get him and his team to this moment, before he dove into the whole now of their current situation.

As always, their morning was roughly jolted into action by the Galra (when did it not? Did these people even sleep??). They'd received a distress signal coming from a nearby planet requesting help from a Galran invasion, and he and the paladins jumped into action, the castle offering some much-needed support as they fought to drive them off, Voltron slashing their troops to ruins, the rest of them fleeing off into the stars.

The job had been slow-going, but well worth it when the final cruiser disappeared from sight, most likely with the lingering threat of coming back more prepared than before.

But that would hopefully, be far from now.

They'd been finally able to touch the lions down, and meet the people that had so desperately needed their help, much of the crowd surrounding the lions cheering when Shiro and the others finally got their boots down on solid ground, and that was when he finally decided to actually take a look around at their surroundings.

Now, this was where things got a little more- interesting.

Shiro was suddenly a very firm believer in the possibility of there being a nacho planet somewhere out there, or a pizza planet, or both, if what he was seeing was anything to go by.

They had stumbled across, what could only be described as, a video game planet.

You heard him right.

A video game planet.

Everywhere he looked resembled that he'd typically find in an Earth arcade. Gaming consoles (er, what he could guess were gaming consoles) dotted the street along with buildings and towers proclaiming the fun and exciting games awaiting people inside.

It was... surprising to say the least.

Shiro could practically feel Pidge and Lance's squeaks of pure and utter excitement through the comms in his helmet when the teens caught sight of it all.

Although they couldn't get to playing just yet, there were still a few things that needed sorting out, but they didn't take nearly as long as Allura and Shiro had been expecting.

The planet's leader- don't even ask him to say the name of the place, he couldn't even do it if he tried- happily agreed with an alliance to Voltron offering aid and support in the fight against the Galra, and, in return, he gave them free reign of the planet's extensive network of gaming.

Seriously, it was ridiculous how many games there were.

But, unexpectedly, after going through a few rounds of the alien equivalent of ski-ball, and space invaders (???), they walked not five steps away from their last session of fun before Lance ground to a halt, pointed to a nearby booth, and demanded they play.

And now, here they were, waiting for the group of beings inside to finish up so he, Allura, and the rest of the paladins could play a game of laser tag.

Er- at least, it looked like laser tag, Shiro was a little lost for words when he caught sight of movement inside the dark room when the aliens in front of them finally walked out, clad with game vests and plastic-looking guns, all of them breathless and sweaty, but happy.