Keith - Like Glass

Word Count: 2,874

Heads up, this is one of those..... weirder ones, a random quote I made up ("We're all made of glass, some just have more cracks than others.") ended up popping back into my head a few days ago and I just couldn't shake the need to do something with it that involved the fantastic Voltron paladins, so here we are!!

Also, points to whoever recognizes the tiny comic piece I used for the chapter pic, I've reread that amazing thing over and over too many times to count by now, and though I'm not as nearly as big of a Klance shipper as I was, I still friggin love it ^-^

...

Contrary to popular belief, transitioning to the Paladins of Voltron was no easy task.

To be quite honest it- it was painful.

And the only reason that they were even here at all was because the previous paladins couldn't be put back together again.

Yeah, you heard him right.

The paladins fell to literal pieces.

Even Pidge had had a hard time understanding just what Allura meant once she gathered them all in the control room one quiet day. They'd launched from Arus only a few days ago, and even then they were excelling faster than the previous paladins had in forming Voltron, operating as a team, forced to work together with the impending doom of war lingering over everyone's heads, and all-in-all, Keith didn't think they were doing all that bad.

Being a paladin couldn't be an easier job, and with the clear obviousness that he had nothing to go back to on Earth, this was a complete and utter breeze.

But- there was a twist that came with that fancy title.

A twist that required- a body procedure? Keith wasn't sure how else to word it besides that it was weird, interesting, and weird all at once.

"You see, all paladins must undergo what might be understood as a binding process, it helps to ensure that in a time of great destruction, we can easily put you back together without the wait a healing pod would bring," Allura explained, hands clasped in front of her.

"What exactly do you mean, 'binding process'? What is that? Is it a good thing? If so, how long is that going to take?" Pidge questioned, pushing up her glasses, no doubt still on the track of finding her brother and father while she was out here.

"Yeah, and I'm a little hooked on the 'putting us back together" part? If you guys can put limbs back together that's great, but I don't think we humans really have that capability." Hunk nervously tapped his index fingers together, brown eyes wide.

"Quite right," Coran chuckled, "you may not have those capabilities now, but this here castle can make that right as a ruflox."

"Wait, what? What are you guys saying exactly?" Lance questioned, "Are we gonna be, like, immortal or something?"

"No, no, no, of course not, that's a ridiculous idea," the advisor waved the question away with a shake of his head. "The princess is merely saying that the role of paladin requires your bodies to become nearly unbreakable, it's essential as a paladin. Of course you'll be injured, that is certainly a given in war, but this process will ensure even if the injury is serious we can, twist, pop and-" he broke off, clapping his hands together making Pidge jump as she looked up from peering over the princess's shoulder, "-just like that!"

"Er," Allura chuckled, the holo screen in front of her disappearing into thin air as she stepped off the castle platform, walking with purposeful steps towards them, not at all looking at all bothered by what the royal advisor was describing, "what Coran is trying to say is once we place you into the pods to begin the process, your bodies won't succumb easily to cuts, instead, if it happens to become hurt by some immeasurable force skin will merely crack off which we can fix in seconds here. It is very helpful in the heat of battle and only takes moments to heal."