Chapter: 21

The fireworks set off one by one that night, shimmering into the sky and then exploding into a euphoric whim of color. I erected my golden wings from my back and flew just barely overhead of the town. After all, I didn't want to go too high and get caught in a firework flare. I watched all the townspeople below me cheering and smiling and for the first time in a while it felt like peace was finally with the people. Even if it wasn't in my heart.

I found Jericho and the holy knight Guila together up on a hillside. Guila was accompanied by her brother Zeal and I thought that maybe I might join them.

"(Y/n)!" Jericho yelled as I flew down to them. Her light purple hair was pulled up into a small ponytail and instead of her armor she wore casual clothes. It felt a bit odd to see her dressed so informally but it showed another side to her that no one usually got to see.

"It's great to see all of you again so soon!" I exclaimed with joy to the trio who were probably more excited to indulge in a new friendship than to care about what was happening around us, and I was just as happy. For now at least. I mean if I can never have my soulmate than I guess it's nice to make all the friends I can in order to fill the holes.

"Can we just apologize on behalf of everyone in Liones for doubting you guys. We really had no clue that the enemy was inside our walls." Guila remarked with slight sorrow. She knelt down before me and bowed her head but I just shook mine.

"You can get up Guila, there's no need for you to apologize. We just had to stop the demons from being released at all costs." I told her with kindness in my voice. Guila stood up and brushed her knees off. Jericho put a hand on Guila's shoulder and I smiled at them. But then Jericho asked me a question, one I had a very difficult time answering at first.

"What's the demon race like (y/n)? Do you know?" She asked me.

I had to take some time before answering. I couldn't tell the truth. If I did I'd be a traitor. However, I couldn't lie.

"They are some of the most terrifyingly powerful beings I ever did meet." I ended up saying to Jericho's glowing eyes. She was absolutely enticed by my description of them and somehow horrified at the same time. "Real ones are nothing like that red thing you all took blood from too." I finished.

"Well I guess it is commendable of you to have stopped those beasts from resurrection. Anyways from what I hear, you, as well as the sins will be receiving medals for your heroism." Guila replied. My eyebrows rose. I really didn't think I deserved a medal or anything special but by the way those two were smiling, I guess they did.

"Guys, I'm flattered, but I was only in Liones for the last bit of the battle. I don't deserve a medal." I told them, my eyes gazing into a completely other direction.

"But while you weren't there you were still trying to help, were you not?" Guila asked. Which I guess answered my doubts. I smiled back at the two of them and we continued our conversation until I felt Zeal tug on the bottom on my skirt.

"Miss (y/n). Would you like to sit with me as we watch the fireworks grand finale." The little boy asked with glee. I nodded my head to him and sat down crossing my legs. Zeal pointed to every single flare that went off in the sky and I chuckled when he'd go "kaboom!" Every time one would go off.

. . .

After seeing everyone, I felt like my day wasn't a total failure like I thought it would be. I was actually happy about that. If only temporarily, my mood was lifted. Anyways, I found myself flying in the direction of the tavern now. It was just barely evening and I knew the Boar's Hat would be packed with all sorts of citizens, vagabonds, and holy knights. But I flew close anyways.

"(Y/n)! Just the beautiful lady I'm looking for!" Meliodas exclaimed as soon as I entered the front door of the tavern. My jaw dropped when I saw what he was holding though. A tavern uniform, the same one Elizabeth and Diane were wearing. At this moment every single alarm siren in my mind went off.

"No." That was all I said.

"But come on (y/n), don't ya wanna be one of the Boar's Hat poster girls." Melio continued with stars in his eyes.

"No, find someone else." I replied with an even tone and a straight face.

"Come on, Merlin already quit, who else is ther-" Meliodas was stopped in his sentence when he glanced towards the stairs and saw a sight most magical and horrifying.

It was Gowther coming down the stairs in the tavern uniform. Then by some manifestation of a higher power, he stopped. Only to put two fingers to his eyes and say one word.

"Sparkle!" Was all he said. I was both traumatized and mesmerized at the same time. But I had to admit one thing to myself and myself alone.

Gowther do be lookin hella fly.