Chapter: 19

I stared blankly at the stars as I laid on the porch of the Boar's Hat tavern. Desperately I tried to sleep but my heart roamed into memories of Zeldris and I. I couldn't help but wonder if it was real. After today, was it really set in stone that I'd never see him again? My eyes watered up and I kept looking to the sky. The same sky where my love used to roam.

Flashback:

My wings felt weak as I touched my feet back on the grass. Zeldris landed next to me only seconds later. By that point I almost collapsed from losing so much power in battle. I fell into Zeldris's arms and he held me upwards. We were both extremely wounded. I could see places where he had been bleeding and with all my might, I looked up and placed one hand onto his cheek. He ran one hand through the back of my (h/c) hair and that was when I knew. This would be the end.

An army of humans and angels made their way towards us. Zeldris crouched down as if to protect me. "Get away from her!" The prince of darkness shouted as the knights tried to pry me from his arms.

"Zel!" I practically screamed as their hands felt like knives tearing apart my skin. I could feel Zeldris regaining his strength although I had no clue what he intended to do.

Suddenly his pure black wings came out and he fought off the few humans that surrounded me with his sword. After that, all I could feel was that I was being taken into his arms and lifted into the air. I held on tight to his chest as he flew fast. My legs were coated and covered in bruises and blood from open wounds, I was so limp that I didn't think I could even walk when I was eventually placed down. We could've only been a few miles from where we were previously. Knowing that, we knew the stigma's army would definitely catch up to us soon. But this would give us maybe 25 minutes max.

"Is this what we're doing now Zel? Are we running?" I asked him as I faintly chuckled. My voice was weak and I could barely get up off the ground. The mossy trees and willows that surrounded us seemed to weep with us. They mourned with our sorrows.

"No sweetheart, we'll find a way out of this I promise." He said as he squatted down to my level. He placed both his hands in both of mine and gave me the softest hint of a smile. "When this is over (y/n), I'm going to make you mine forever and I'll become the demon king and we'll have children of our own. I promise you. Just hold on (y/n)."

I gazed up at him and felt my face become wet with tears. "Oh Zel,." I began to whisper. "I'd want nothing more."

. . .

The memory faded from my mind just as quickly as the promise Zeldris made to me. The promise that would now forever remain unfulfilled.

My eyes shut and finally I was whisked away into the world of dreams. Although my dreams only brought more doomed memories. A pain echoed throughout my heart. One that I had not felt in quite some time. By then it was obvious, I was again becoming disenchanted by the world around me.

. . .

"Alright everyone! Up and at em'!" Meliodas shouted through the tavern. I had ended up sleeping on the porch outside that night and slowly but surely I was feeling the effects. I lifted myself up so I was sitting and I could feel a sharp pain in my back. I put one hand on it as I gazed about the scenery. It must be near mid day I thought. I could see trees swaying in a slight breeze, the sun was up in the sky, and there wasn't a cloud to be seen.

From what I could hear there was a festival today. A celebration of the retaking of Liones. There'd be fireworks and delicious food seen all over the city. At heart I debated even going. But I couldn't stay at the tavern. Meliodas was planning on having it in full swing operation. My best bet was to see what some of the others would be up to.

King and Diane were already gone so I had to figure out what I could work with now. Apparently King came in looking all ditzy from a bloody nose and just said, "me, Diane, watch fireworks. She asked me!!!" Then shortly after that he passed out. I mean King does tend to overrun himself sometimes. But overall I'm happy for the two of them.

"Hey Gowthy!" I shouted across the field of grass to Gowther who only shot his head back at me with a sort of unbeknownst look. "Whatcha' doing today?" I asked him.

"Ah, it seems like I'll be paying a visit to Merlin today (y/n). She requested my presence at once." He responded after I walked over to him.

"Oh, well have fun!" I then replied and just as fast as I came over to him, he walked away.

After, I thought well that leaves only Bany and Elizabeth to join me for the festival today. I sighed knowing I'd likely be stuck with Ban. I could already see it playing out in my head. Elizabeth will stay with Melio to help run the bar and then Ban will be out doing lord knows what and I'll end up babysitting him rather than having fun. Although for some reason I got this strange feeling that Ban was in a mood. I noticed it when I got back from Satulumia and he didn't crucify me.

Maybe he was finally letting go. Or maybe he just had some bigger fish to fry. Whatever it was, it got his attention away from caring about me too much.