Chapter: 29: superbass version

Just chapter 29, but it's superbass.

My heart fluttered in my chest as Velinda asked us about the holy war. The atmosphere in the bakery suddenly got cold. Velinda shuddered away for a second before taking a step closer to the table. She had a sorrowful look in her eye before sucking it down to ask us yet another question.

"Are you a barb?" She whispered to me and Zel.

I was quite a bit stunned at her question. "Forgive me I haven't heard language like that in quite some tim-THIS ONE IS FOR THE BOYS WITH THE BOOMING-"

"(Y/n)!" Zel looked at me with almost concern in his eyes. "The whole bakery is staring. I thought we agreed we'd lay low." He persisted.

I pursed my lips, this was just another example how our hearts, separated by time, were too different. To be honest, if Zel wasn't a barb, I didn't know if it'd be easy to love him. Or maybe I just had to bring him back to my castle and we'd listen to pink friday on repeat. 'Yeah, maybe that'd teach him', I thought to myself.

If the atmosphere wasn't tight already, it had just gotten a lot tighter. Not only was Zel right. The entire bakery was staring at us. But some other patrons began to squint their eyes at us as if we were familiar. Like they'd seen us before in some horrid memory. At least that's how they were looking at us. On that note I looked hard at Zel wondering if he was picking up the same energy in the room, and it seemed to become very clear that he did once he reached for my hand.

"Darling, I think we're in a bit of a situation." He murmured to me as people began approaching us with daring looks.

"I know these two, that voice, you." A scruffy man said as he stood up. He was big, a lot larger than Zeldris and myself, and definitely didn't look like he was to be messed with. His beard gave him a scruffy look and when he walked on the wooden floor of the bakery, creaking could be heard.

I eyed the situation the best I could but in all I had to admit something. This township may seem normal to Zel but that's because he hasn't lived 3,000 years of Britannia history. I knew something was wrong with this place majorly and I think I had gotten to the bottom of it. I had come to realize. This town was a land from the past. It's appearance must've been an effect from the opening of the coffin of eternal darkness.

"Zel we've got to get out of here." I finally admitted.

"It's these two! They're fighters for the Demon clan!" The large man shouted across the bakery. That was when Zel grabbed my hand again and we made a run for it. Out the door we went leaving it swinging behind us.

I could feel the cobblestone clacking against my heeled boots as we both ran hand in hand. Passed buildings where men of all shapes and sizes left their homes to attempt to seize us. Zel pulled my hand as to direct me to an alleyway. He then put both his hands up to my face.

"Look (y/n) this village is not supposed to be here." He spoke as if that was something I was unaware of. "I think we've had a good rest and our best bet is to get the hell out of dodge." He continued.

I nodded my head as we both made the decision to leave. That was when I could hear the men coming down the alleyway. They all had pitchforks and knives in hand. I would be lying if I said I wasn't freaking out. That was when Zel again took my hand and gripped my hand tighter then he had before. His wings erected from his body. Then in a swift movement he swept me off my feet and we were airborne.

The sky, a place I was so comfortable being. I could feel the air blanketing my face and I just nuzzled into Zeldris's chest more. To think, our journey would be interrupted by a blast from the past. That was quite the pleasurable surprise.

THIS IS PROPAGANDA FOR MY NEW STORY!!! If you've played genshin and are a Childe simp like me!! COMING SOON TO THEATERS NEAR YOU!

More propaganda: my insta account where I'll be posting everything from cosplay to updates as to where I am in the story is @ killinlikethevillain