Chapter 28 - Hannah

*Two Months Had Passed*

Christmas Break. Usually my Dad, Melissa and I, we all go skiing at a resort for a week. But this year, it was different. My head was still fragile and I couldn't do any sports without having a headache. So we planned to stay home.

Only two days before Christmas Break and I couldn't hold still. I needed a break from school drama.

Sitting quietly at the kitchen table with the family for souper, we've already covered the basic conversation starter.
How was your day?
Did you had a great day at work?
How did you do on that test?

But there was this one question that no one had asked and I was hoping to get something out of it. So, I asked, "So what's you guys plans for the holiday?"

My dad took a bite of his meat.

"Stay home. How about you Hannah? Got anything in mind that you want to do?" He said while eating.

"Umm...yeah. I want to visit Mom." I simply said.

Everyone stopped eating. Melissa dropped her fork on her plate and they all looked at me. "What?" I asked, looking at each and every one of them.

"Did you just said you wanted to go to mom's?" Melissa was the first to have spoken.

"Oh no! I said I wanted a pink unicorn for christmas. Of course I said I wanted to go visit mom." I said, sarcastically.

"I'm not saying you can't but...why?" Dad asked.

"Well because Melissa keeps saying that mom actually want us to keep in touch with her but we never let her. And I think that it would be a great christmas gift if I start back to talk to her."

"If you go, I go too!" Melissa replied.

"No you can't go Honey! Then who's going to stay with me? I'm gonna be alone for Christmas."

"Dad is right Mel. You have to stay. You can go to Mom's at march break."

She nodded with sadness, sinking into her chair.

Dad looked at me.

"Do you want me to call her or do you want to do it yourself?"

"I think I'm old enough to call my own mother."

*********************

Back in my room, I pace up and down along my window wall with the cordless phone on one hand and Mom's home phone number in the other. Now, I just have to find the courage to dial. I sat on the pillows on my window bane.

What if she dosn't want me there? It has been forever since I last talked to her. I was getting more nervous by the minute.

I finally pressed the digits.

It rang. Twice. Three time before someone picked up.

"Hello?" The voice was the one of a woman. You could hear a few people in the background.

"Umm...yeah! Hi. Is this Kareen Winterfeild?"

Silence.

"Umm...Who is this? No one has called me Winterfeild its been...well, it has to be over 14 years."

I hesitated.

"It's Hannah. Hannah Winterfeild? Your...daughter."

"Oh my! Hannah? Is that you?! My god lord you sound all grown up! How have you been?" She sounded all hyper all of a sudden.

"I'm fine actually. But...umm...the reason I called was to ask if I could spend the holidays with you."

"Ummm...Sure honey! Is your dad okay with you coming here?"

"Yeah! I've talked about it and he is fine with me spending a week or so with you..." I heard some sort of plate break in the background.

"MOOOM!" Could hear girl's voice screaming for Kareen.

"And your family?..." I managed to finish.

"Lisnen Hannah, you can surely come over...ummm...let's say this saturday? Is that alright? Okay well I got to go now! I'll keep in touch with you before then!"

"I...um....just..."

She hung up.