Chapter 21- Jack

I didn't felt welcome there. I kept wandering in the guest room for about a good twenty minutes before making up my mind. I gathered my stuff. Where am I gonna go at this time of day? I had no idea. But I had to get out before I do something I regret. I honestly thought that Hannah was going to come up and explain herself, trying to apologize...but she didn't. I kept picturing her with this boy, hooking up behind my back and it made me sick just thinking about it.

I got out of the room so quietly that I thought it was impossible. I then stopped by Hannah's room to see if she would ever notice my absence but she was asleep. Damn. It broke my heart to leave her like this. But in another way, she sort of did it to me too. The moonlight through the half closed curtains of the window has reached Hannah, making her glow. Her motionless face was calmly resting, making her look so peaceful.

I slowly backed out of Hannah's door way, walked down the stairs and got out the front door.  The street lights were illuminating the roads, giving it a mysterious appeal. It was about 6:55 in the morning. You could see that Rochester was slowly waking up from their deep sleep. A few lights in the Neighborhood houses were on. A light frost can be seen on the grass, making the temperature drop. Walking with my hands in my pocket, I knew that school was about to start in a few hours so might as well start walking toward it.

After a while, I passed in front of the park where I got arrested, a few days before. I could still see the smirk on Malik's face when the two police car showed up. Man! I hate the guy. If he dares to come even close to Hannah I will...Wait. I can't. I can't be around her either. I'm such a bad influence for her. I got to stay out of her way, for her to succeed in life. Not to be where I am, Homeless, Abused & No future. She can do so much, but she don't realize it. When the opportunity comes up, I'll talk to her about it.

When I finally reached the school, the classes had already begun. But I don't care at this point. I walk in the school and took the long way to my locker because I was afraid of facing Hannah. But instead I found Jordan, waiting at my locker.

"Where were you man? Your parents called me last night to ask if you were at my house. They are worried!"

"Puff! As if they ever get worried. What did you told them?" I said, getting my binder out of the locker.

"I told them you weren't at my house."

"What?! Why would you say that? Now they gonna call the cops..." I was furious.

"Man, I couldn't lie. If I said you were there, they would've demand to speak with you and I would break under the pressure. Jack, you know I always got your back right? But this time...I just couldn't." He did a friendly patt on my left shoulder.

"They're going to call the cops for a missing teen Jordan! This isn't any minor thing. Argh! You know what? Nevermind. I'm going to figure it out myself." I closed violently the locker door and walked away from Jordan.

The whole day was a total stress. Always asking myself what would I do next. Then, came time for history class. I was the last person to arrive. My eyes automatically caught Hannah's big blue eyes, who was sitting very still at her desk, and I froze for half a second. Looking at the ground, I walked to my desk with a pinch of a hurry. She didn't move during the whole process.

It was the longest class I've ever attended. I was always looking at the clock, which one minute seems like an hour. Since Hannah was sitting right in front of me, I couldn't pretend not to smell her floral shampoo from my seat. I can see that she's taking short deep breath. Has she been crying? As soon as the bell rang for the end of class, I rapidly gathered my books and got out of the door as fast as I could, but without making it look like I've been avoiding anyone.

I was still not ready to face her. Not just yet.