Chapter 13- Hannah

During the whole car ride, Melissa didn't asked any question. And I didn't wanted to talk either. If Jack was really in jail for whatever reason...

The receptionist was very sweet and calming.

"Hello! How may I help you?"

"I'm here to see Jack. Apperently he's in trouble..." I said. My voice was shaking.

"Yes. He got arrested due to violence and drug uses." She replied after searching his name into her computer.

"Drug uses? Are you sure we have the same guy here?" I said.

"Is this him?" She showed me a picture of Jack. I slowly nodded.

"Right this way." She said, leading me to a large dark corridor.

We entered a small poor lighted square room. I could see a table in the middle of it. The door closed behind me and the lights went on. Jack was sitting at the table, looking at me with a pityfull look on his face.

"Hannah..." He finally said.

I slowly walked toward him and sit on a chair in front of him.

"Lisnen! It's not what it seems. Jordan and I got played. By the guy who hitted you with the baseball bat for a matter of facts."

I stayed silent. I wanted to know what he was going to say next. Noticing that I wasn't going to say anything else, he spoke again.

"He called the cops before meeting us at the park to provoque me. He knew we would try to fight him. The next thing I knew, I was in the police car. Hannah, I didn't know who to call. And I..."

"Drug? How come you never told me?..." I said, finally. He was startled.

"...Because you never asked..."

I rised up from my seat.

"Never asked? You could've mensionned it somewhere!!"

His voice got louder. "How? 'Ah yeah, by the way, I do drugs every once in a while because I get beaten up at home and I have no place to hide!' ..." He said, changing his voice.

I paused. He had this seriousness in his face that I couldn't help but notice.

"...I didn't know..." I started.

"Of course you didn't know because I never told you." He calmly responded. "I didn't wanted to tell you either."

"Jack...If you're beaten up at home, why don't you just report it to the police?" I asked.

"And then what?...Lose my home? I may not feel safe there but at least I have a roof over my head and food on the table. You see, my whole childhood has been cleaning up my dad's act and trying to be a better man than him. Trying to save my mother from his evilness...But I failed. I failed as a son, as a citizen...I'm in the dark side and I can't pull myself back. But after I met you...Hannah, after I met you, I caught myself being happy for the first time. I haven't stopped thinking about you since the day I poured my patatoe salad all over you." He stops. Tears were running down my eyes. He resumed, "I know that this isn't really the perfect place to say this but...I love you Hannah."

I couldn't believe it. I haven't heard thoses particular three words in a long time.

All that I managed to respond was,

"Let's get you out of here."