𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚌𝚔𝚌𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚝

tw for some, mentions of food be aware ❤︎

the sheer smell of the kitchen proved that the food had been left mainly untouched

the sheer smell of the kitchen proved that the food had been left mainly untouched. rotting vegetables, mouldy bread sat on the side as if it were placed in a scene, strategically. the kitchen in the school had not yet been fully ransacked, they had largely left it untouched apart from missing pudding cups and jello.
"well, looks like we have some counting to do." isla sighed.
"you can go home if you want, im perfectly fine here on my own babe."
"i told you that im fine."
"you dont look fine, alright"
"nick, baby, dont blow this out of proportion. i fainted once."
earlier in the apartment the two shared, isla had fainted as nick went to smoke on the balcony which caused him to nearly go into cardiac arrest when he came back inside. she was still pale in the face, without the usual dusting of red tint that often coated her cheeks. the same red tint thar coined her the nickname rosie as a child.
"even if you insist, im insisting that you sit down and just write stuff. no heavy lifting. okay, sweetheart?" nick scolded her.
"ok nick" isla pouted.
"dont do that"
"do what?"
"the little pout, i cant help but fall in love with."

as the couple finished the count of the food in the school kitchen and locked the supplies away, they began to walk the once full town. they looked at the empty cars, homes and shops. the deserted town was going to have to be controlled but they were all just teenagers and it brought into question their abilities as human beings. what were they all good at, isla was booksmart but what good could that do her in this situation? these thoughts began to plague the girls' mind and it was clear to nick that she was worried, the situation and the consequences of their actions were now seemingly more important than before. they couldnt just leave everything when they wanted, they had to stay. it seemed they couldnt leave.

"hey." nick whispered, pulling the small girl to a stop.
"hey."
"whats going on in there?" he whispered, cheekily knocking lightly on the girls head.
"overthinking all of this."
"well, me and you are gonna be fine. its everyone else you should worry about, theyre all selfish so it will be hard for them to share my love. we can share and we are gonna be okay."
"alright."
"now, we are going to find an empty place where we can sit and i will read to you."
"what book?"
"any book your little heart desires, we can go stop by the library while were finding somewhere."