𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚛𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚜

it was early on a sunday morning when isla woke and felt that nick's side of the bed was warm

it was early on a sunday morning when isla woke and felt that nick's side of the bed was warm. the sheets held the ghost of his presence as isla lifted her head to look for him.

lifting herself from the bed, she lightly trudged to the open area of their apartment that held their kitchen and living room. a small candle lit up nick's face as the tear tracks shone slightly in the light. isla heard light sniffles as she gently sat next to him and pulled him into her.

he rested his head on her stomach as he laid down while she sat up, lightly stroking his hair. no words were needed as they both knew that the overwhelming situation they had found themselves in when they woke up on the bus was the cause of his tears. they both missed their families, they both were struggling with the escalation of events and neither knew how to cope.

they both just wanted to be teenagers again. to have a normal life and not have to worry so much. they both had a year of high school left but it wouldn't make any difference now. they were stuck in this situation with no way out.

nick's tears eventually subsided as he lifted his head from his girlfriend's embrace.
"i'm sorry." he said with his eyes cast at his fingers
"hey, look at me." isla said as she placed her hands on his cheeks, "you don't need to apologise."
"i just - i got so worked up about everything and i spiralled into if we ever broke up, and then i realised i would be all alone and-" nick's eyes began to well up again.
"you're ok, calm down. i'm still here and i'm gonna stay here, it's me and you. yeah." isla laughed breathily as nick looked at her with a smile on his face, "now come back to bed and we can watch a movie or something." isla pulled nick off of the small couch and nick pulled her into his body.
they each muttered an 'i love you' before going back to bed.