𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚎𝚡𝚎𝚌𝚞𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚍𝚊𝚢

the guard and the council had taken dewey into the woods to be executed, the tension in the town could be cut with a knife

the guard and the council had taken dewey into the woods to be executed, the tension in the town could be cut with a knife. people knew what was happening just a few miles from where they currently sat and it created an uncomfortable aura. the weather seemed to compliment the dull and dreary mood everyone had as if some higher being knew what they were about to do.

"do you think it's right?" isla asked as nick was writing.

"do I think what is right?"

"that dewey was executed?" isla said in a small voice, her head placed downwards.

"come here." he said.

she stood and moved to his lap, sitting to face him as she continued to play with her fingers. he grabbed her hands in his as he pulled her attention up to him.

"listen to me, whether it was right or not doesn't matter because we had no say. you and me, we just have to exist here, and we just talk to our friends and work. we have no responsibility in this. I don't know what I think about dewey, I just know that me and you are safe."

"can we go for a walk please? I want fresh air but I don't want to be alone."

"come on then sweetness." he said placing her onto her feet.

they both stood and went to walk the derelict streets hand in hand, the air cold in their lungs as they trudged along in silence. isla stopped for a moment to pick some flowers for the graves of everyone they had lost. she pulled nick along to the church as she separated them to be placed on the graves, a sigh escaping her lips as she looked at the freshly placed soil. placing flowers on emily, cassandra, and dewey's graves; she muttered a small 'I'm sorry' when she looked at dewey's.

they continued to walk through the town as the thought that now three of their classmates and people they knew in their childhoods had died while they were stuck in the town that had once brought comfort to them. the concrete was hard underneath the quiet thumps of their feet as they moved through the streets. each of them allowing themselves to collect their thoughts of the events that have happened while they have been here.

they continued this comfortable silence until they got home and got into their shared bed, neither commented on the day again as they laid in bed with nick placing his arm around isla and she held his hand as they slept. their dreams bringing solace and washing away the fears they held, at least for a few hours.