𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚎𝚘𝚙𝚕𝚎

the town was in the church again for their weekly update

the town was in the church again for their weekly update. the obligatory meetings seeming to drain the life out of isla as she sat with her beanie on and earphones in. she only really attended these because they are made to and nick gets worried that she will just never move again if she isn't made to.

sighing, she curled into nick's side as he pressed a kiss to her head and took one of her earphones out and whispered in her ear.

"how about me and you take a walk later?"

isla only nodded as she grasped his jumper, using this to anchor herself to her fleeting sanity. gwen was telling everyone about the new activities that they have to offer and a reminder about the movie night that was coming up. nick and isla had decided not to go as they decided to stay at home to have their own movie night with one of isla's favourite movies that nick hadn't watched 'empire records'.

allie then approached the podium and announced that this thursday was thanksgiving with a reminder to give recipes to will for the ingredients, and the committee on resources.

"what about the committee on going home?" lexie chipped in from her seat.

"gordie and bean promised me a report on thursday." allie responded.

lexie then questioned "are we going home?"

"not before thursday. will?"

will then approached the podium "okay. so, we finished our audit on food supplies and based on our current rationing, we have enough to carry us through spring. this winter won't be a problem, but our food won't last forever. we all knew that. we'll start to run low by next summer."

"so, we're all gonna fucking starve?" erika asked.

"no, of course not. we've just got to change the way that we do things. we have a plan. grizz?" allie nodded her head towards the boy.

"um ... so, after thanksgiving, i'm going to lead a search party to look for farmland and alternative food supplies. if anyone wants to join me, i'm looking for four or five volunteers to come along with me."

this caused another boy to shout out, "no fucking way."

"dickhead. just shut up." nick said moving his head to look at the person.

"look, we all know what happened to emily, but this is different. we know what to expect now. we'll be prepared and we'll bring proper supplies."

"yeah, but we don't know how to farm. even if you find this land, whose gonna work it?"

"would you rather starve lexie." isla called out, "because i would be happy to let you."

"we will work it. all of us. we'll have to learn how, just like we learned how to do everything else around here. i know it's a lot, and we still have to cook and clean, and do everything else that makes this place work. it's going to get tougher, but what choice do we have? right? no choice, so we'll do it. we're just gonna take it step by step. ok? just solve each problem as it comes, and I

think that we can do that if we stay positive."

"i fucking hate this place." isla whispered to nick; to which he whispered back, "i hate these people."