𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚜

after campbell had been arrested, isla became increasingly worried about how the group's dynamics would change more so then it already has

after campbell had been arrested, isla became increasingly worried about how the group's dynamics would change more so then it already has. the guard and the council were having to decide how to deal with dewey and campbell. isla and nick were becoming more isolated from everyone as allie was making her decision. sitting close to each other but slightly distanced from the others, the couple seemed to be emulating campbell and harry in their own way.

allie walked into the church with her face presenting a serious scowl as she sighed, "i had two decisions to make, two rulings. first, campbell. this court is not about vengeance, it's about fairness and justice. the only evidence we have against campbell, which is from dewey himself, is unreliable. without evidence, there can be no trial. so last night, I ordered campbell be released from custody." allie's announcement brought people out in hushed whispers while nick and isla sat there just wanting to leave again, "it was the right thing to do. as for dewey, he's been found guilty of murder and the punishment for murder is death."

this brought polarising opinions to the surface as people shouted that she cant do that. allie continued, "let this be a warning to anyone who even thinks about using violence on anyone in this town. we will respond, eye for an eye."

dewey then stood, shouting "this is not a court! you are fucking crazy. you hear me? you got no right! i'm gonna fucking kill you bitch; i'm gonna kill you, then you'll be dead just like your sister! you fucking crazy bitch, what are you looking at?" dewey was dragged from the church by jason and luke.

dewey was going to be put to death tomorrow; this led to grizzy, luke, jason and clark coming to nick and isla's apartment due to the lingering friendship nick shared with the boys and everyone generally getting on with isla. the boys were all drinking some beers that nick and isla brought to the apartment when they first moved in, isla was sat reading while they spoke. feeling a presence sat close to her, she looked up from the book she had read multiple times while they had been in the derelict town that they once called home. grizz sat with a conflicted look on his face as he relaxed into the couch.

"everything ok, grizz?" isla inquired as she placed the folded paper she used sans a bookmark.

"it's just the whole execution and the way everything is going. it feels like years since i was waiting to go to college and leave everyone behind."

"everything got turned on its head." isla said softly, voice catching in the night softly. grizz muttered a "yeah" as isla looked at nick who sat at the window they had opened to let the smell of alcohol and smoke out of the room, "if none of this happened, i probably wouldn't have even looked twice at nick. so i'm kind of grateful, but i miss everyone like my sister and my friends. it's like everything just changed." isla took a minute before looking at grizz again, "what are you gonna do to make the most of it?"

"no clue," he huffed lightly as he leaned his head back and rolled it to the side to get a real look at the apartment his friends had holed themselves up in, "i think i'm just gonna try to survive, ya know? like live a good life as much as i can. find someone to love me like you and nick."

isla moved from the singular chair she sat on and moved to grizz's side resting her head on his shoulder, "you can come here whenever you want, you know that right? it's open door here, i know that the testosterone of highschool football players turned guard members must be overwhelming. i can always talk."

"thanks, is." grizz said as he rested his head on top of isla's and the two friends watched as nick, jason and clark smoked. "i'm glad we're friends."

"me too." isla said, looking at the flame of the candle in the room.