Book 3: Chapter 18

Start from the beginning

She's convincing herself no, she has too much on her plate at the moment she didn't need anyone to shoulder her burden of horrific nightmares. And someone like Draco doesn't need to be bothered by her anyway, she was leaving at the end of the year, if anything was to happen it wouldn't be fair to anyone getting involved with her.

"You know, Zabini and Nott aren't the happiest people at the moment," she heard Draco comment, she looked to her side and Draco was looking ahead. And for some reason she didn't mind this brat walking with her, he was the one to see her in her vulnerable times as often as her friends do. She was comfortable with him enough.

"Did they do something for you to ignore them for two weeks?" She heard Draco ask again. She shook her head, they didn't do anything wrong, it was her that was the problem, but she won't tell him that.

"Things are complicated," she simply says avoiding Draco's eyes. For some reason she was afraid of the boy for seeing through her mask, when she was doing so well.

"Complicated? Or are you just stubborn?" He asks again making Finley grin. He wasn't right and yet he wasn't wrong either. Finley was stubborn to acknowledge that her best friends were onto something, and yet she was too scared to see it properly. The what ifs of their discovery was scary as it is, and what if they were wrong? She hated to get her hopes up about having a loving family such as Harry.

"Your silence means I am right," Draco grins, bumping her shoulder slightly.

"You're neither right or wrong," she remarks. She wasn't going to feel the blond boy's ego even more, she was simply acknowledging his conclusion of her being stubborn as hell.

"You're not making sense love," he retorts.

"Things don't always makes sense Draco."

"Now you're being cryptic," he says as he stopped walking once again. "Really Finley, what's going on?"

Finley fell silent, as far as she knew, Draco didn't need to know that she was leaving Hogwarts after this year. The only thing he knew was the consequence of that New Years party, her being taken off the team wasn't taken lightly by him that he demanded Snape to put her back. Two people in Slytherin knew her upcoming departure, she didn't need a third to know about it. Or she did.

"Talk to me Finley, what's wrong?" Draco asked softly. She didn't have the heart to tell him, but it was better to tell him now than be the last person to know right? She didn't like the idea of him hearing it from another source other than herself.

"I might not be here any longer," she simply said as she began walking again.

"What do you mean?"

"I may not be staying here in school anymore."

"You're transferring?" Draco finally asked as he got the pieces together, Finley never doubted the boy's common sense. "Why?"

"Just because?" This wasn't really a just because type of situation, Draco knew that much. Something seemed incredibly wrong, and it didn't seem to answer why the girl was ignoring Blaise and Theo. It was certainly something else, but the news of Finley transferring was shocking.

"You can't give me that reason Finley, why are you transferring? Is it Snape? Do you want me to ask my father to rethink his decision?"

"Heavens no," Finley exclaimed, Mister Malfoy shouldn't be bothered by her as she was technically nothing to him as she is a half-blood. "It was bound to happen really, I disobeyed him and this is what I get. It's not a big deal," she adds.

"But—"

"It's fine really."

And that was where the topic ended, Draco didn't know what to say to Finley. He certainly didn't want her to leave, but what could he do? Even if his father intervened, his family didn't have a hold on Finley as she wasn't someone from his family.