96. Erzi

Tu Cho stretched her back as she stepped off the fire nation ship. Kita ran ahead of her, excited to finally be moving the last of their things to Cranefish Town.

Sokka and Katara joined her. "I really wish you'd stay on the ship," Sokka said.

"It'll be fine, Sokka." Tu Cho chastised. "I'm not going to lift anything heavier than a pillow."

"It's not the lifting I'm worried about..." Sokka said.

"That's why Katara is here," Tu Cho pointed out. "I'm not due for another week and I wasn't missing out on my last chance to get authentic water tribe food."

"I can make you water tribe food at home..."

"Sokka, you can't make banana pudding correctly, let alone Auntie Ashusa's seal jerky." Tu Cho kissed her husband's cheek. "Just let me have my pregnancy cravings, alright?"

"Alright," Sokka relented. "I'm going to finish packing up the nursery."

"Sokka is right to be worried," Katara said, walking towards a restaurant with Tu Cho. "You could go into labor any time. Yue came early, no reason to think it couldn't happen again."

"Excuse me?" Tu Cho growled as she turned on her sister in law.

"No, I just meant-"

"Drop it," Tu Cho said, angrily. "Let's eat."

~~~

The group had returned to Cranefish Town the next day. Upon their return, Aang helped them set up the nursery in their new home. "This might be the most water tribe room in the whole house," Aang commented.

Tu Cho looked around the room. It was full of blues and animal furs. "Well, we had been expecting a winter baby in the South Pole. It had to be warm."

"We might not need a few of these things," Sokka agreed. "It's quite a bit warmer here. The little one probably won't need a seal skin blanket. Maybe we'll get them something a little more..." Sokka looked around the room. "...earth kingdom. I think green and gold would look nice in here. And when in Se Sing Se, as they say."

"You are the decor." Tu Cho suddenly grabbed the side of the crib with a pained expression. She breathed out heavily as she looked at her sister in law. "Sokka, please go remove your fancy pillows from our bed."

"When you speak of the spirits..." Katara smiled. "Right on time.

~~~

The sound of a baby crying loudly cut through the quiet city air late in the night. Tu Cho fought to stay awake through whole body exhaustion. She had to see her baby. She had to hear them continue to cry. She had to know they were okay this time.

Katara set the crying baby on Tu Cho's chest. "He's healthy."

Tu Cho smiled and laughed as tears of joy filled her eyes. "He..." The couple had decided they didn't want to know if the baby would be a boy or a girl. They didn't want to get their hopes up again. "Hello, baby boy."

"Sokka," Katara said as she opened the door.

"Sokka," Tu Cho said, feeling exhaustion start to take over her body, "look at our son... he looks like you..."

Sokka was on the verge of tears as he hugged his wife and child. "Welcome to the world, Erzi," Sokka said, hugging his son closer.
Tu Cho smiled as her eyes closed involuntary. She fought to open them again, wanting to see her son again, but they wouldn't budge.

"What's happening, Katara?" Sokka asked.

"She's exhausted, " Katara said. "You would be too if you just delivered a baby at 2 am."

"Tu Cho..." Sokka touched his wife's shoulder but she didn't move. "I think something is wrong Katara..." Sokka voice sounded distant to Tu Cho, and seemed to be getting further away until it was silent. "Tu Cho... hurry up, Kata..."

~~~

~~~

Tu Cho felt her hand flinch as light filled the room.

"She's waking up!" said Zuko's voice beside her.

Slowly, Tu Cho opened her eyes to see the ceiling of her and Sokka's bedroom in Cranefish Town. Holding her right hand was her twin brother, looking exhausted in his full Fire Lord attire, complete with his hair piece. Tu Cho couldn't help but think he looked out of place in the simple home. Tu Cho smiled at him. "I could have come to you this time," she teased.

Suddenly Sokka's arms were around her neck. "I was so worried I'd lost you..."

"Lost me?" Tu Cho looked at her husband. His scruff was now trimmed into a neat goatee and his hair had been freshly trimmed. She was sure he was looking scruffy and in need of a haircut when she fell asleep. "That's a good look on you."

"You were in a coma for a week," Sokka said.

"I came as soon as I heard," Zuko said, "but you still hadn't woke when I arrived yesterday. I was afraid we'd be arranging a funeral..."

"Knock knock," Suki said, standing in the doorway.

"Suki..." Tu Cho looked at her with a smile. In one arm was a bundle of blue wool blankets while the other held Kita's hand. "Kita."

Kita looked from the floor and smiled widely. The little girl ran past her Uncle to hug her mother. "You were asleep for a long time! I was scared for you."

"I'm okay." Tu Cho smiled as Suki handed her the swaddled baby boy. She looked down at the sleeping baby. "You're okay."

"He's beutiful..." Suki said.

Tu Cho looked at the family around her and tears welled in her eyes as she smiled.

"Let's give them a moment, Suki," Zuko said, standing from his chair. "We'll go let Katara know you're awake."

Tu Cho nodded and pulled Kita into bed with her.

Sokka reached his arms around his family and said, "I love you."