21: Seeing the Drill

Team Avatar quickly arrived at the Outer Wall and saw the drill. Aang pointed at the drill. "It's still there!"

King Kuei was shocked. "What is that?"

"It's a drill. A giant drill made by the Fire Nation to break through your walls."

The king was angry. "I can't believe I never knew." He looked to his right as King Kuei heard something.

Long Feng approached the group. "I can explain this, Your Majesty. This is nothing more than ... a construction project." He gestured his hand to the drill.

Katara rolled her eyes. "Really? Then perhaps you could explain why there's a Fire Nation insignia on your 'construction project'."

"Well it's imported of course. You know you can't trust domestic machinery." He looked at them, worried. "Surely you don't believe these children instead of your most loyal attendant?"

Kuei looked at Team Avatar and Long Feng. "Dai Li! Arrest Long Feng! I want him to stand trial for crimes against the Earth Kingdom."

Long Feng and Team Avatar were both shocked. The two agents behind Long Feng shared glances, but being loyal to the king, launched shackles onto his arms and pulled him in.

"You can't arrest me! You all need me more than you know!" Long Feng was led away.

Sokka was happy. "Looks like Long Feng is long gone! Ha! Ah, yeah, I've been waiting to use that one."

~~~

That night at the Palace, the Earth King was talking with Team Avatar. "I want to thank you, young heroes, for opening my eyes. All this time, what I thought was a great metropolis was merely a city of fools. And that makes me the king fool." He buried his face in his hand. "We're at war.... with the Fire Nation."

Sokka nodded, "That's why we came to Ba Sing Se, Your Highness; Because we think you can help us end the war."

"We don't have much time," Aang said. "There's a comet coming this summer. Its energy will give the firebenders unbelievable strength. They'll be unstoppable."

The king became quite upset but Tu Cho cut in, "But there is hope."

"Before the comet comes," Sokka said, "we have a window of opportunity: A solar eclipse is coming. The sun will be completely blocked out by the moon, and the firebenders will be helpless."

King Kuei was interested. "What are you suggesting, Sokka?"

"That's the day we need to invade the Fire Nation," Sokka said. "The Day of Black Sun."

King Kuei thought for a second. "I don't know. That would require moving troops out of Ba Sing Se. We'd be completely vulnerable."

Sokka said, "You're already vulnerable."

Tu Cho took a step closer. "The Fire Nation won't stop until Ba Sing Se falls. You have a choice, your majesty. You can either sit back, wait for that to happen, and try to defend yourself or take the offensive and give yourself a fighting chance."

King Kuei thought nervously for a moment as everyone waited anxiously. "Very well. You have my support."

"Your Majesty." A man walked up to Team Avatar and bowed to the king. "I apologize for the interruption."