92: The Ally Meeting

"Is Grandpa going to be okay?" Kita asked.

"I don't know yet, Kita," Tu Cho said as snow began to fall.

The door opened and Sokka and Katara walked out.

"Sweetie?" Aang ran up to Katara. "Is he okay?"

"He woke up." Katara said.

"Then he'll be all right?" Toph asked.

"Yeah," Sokka said, pulling on his coat. "He'll be alright." He picked up Kita as she yawned.

"It's almost bedtime," Tu Cho said.

"Good, mommy," Kita said. "I is tired."

"It's 'I am tired,'" Tu Cho said.

"Hey," Malina's voice said.

Tu Cho and Katara both spun at the sound of her voice. "What are you doing here?" Katara growled.

"I swear to you," Malina clasped her hands, "all those things my brother said, I don't believe them."

"Anymore," Katara said.

"What do you mean?" Malina asked.

"You don't believe them anymore, not after you 'fell in love' with my dad," Katara said. "But what happens when you fall out of love, Malina?"

"Katara," Malina pleaded, "it goes deeper than that."

Tu Cho took a deep breath, ignoring the continuing conversation. She let her spirit search until in connected with Malina's spirit. No hostility or hatred was to be found in her aura, this was not so for Katara.

Malina turned to leave when the door opened. "Malina," Gran Gran said. "Hadoka wants to see you."

"Let's get Kita to bed," Sokka said, leading his family towards the town hall.

***

Tu Cho and Sokka were walking with Malina, having left Kita with Gran Gran to play. "I should leave," Malina said. "My presence here is causing tension."

"Malina, you're the only one who knows the plans from beginning to end. If we're gonna do this, we need you here," Sokka said. "And besides, my dad and Tu Cho have gotten most of the southerners on board with the project."

"Then what about..." she looked at the people protesting outside the construction fence.

"The folks outside the gate?" Sokka asked. "Once they see how this will benefit the whole tribe, they'll come around."

Tu Cho looked at the protesters. They were chanting "Foreigners out!" and holding signs with "foreigners out," "leave us be," "out with the north," and "out with the ash-maker."

Tu Cho shook her head. "I hope you're right... How is this protest going to affect the meeting?"

"The meeting?" Malina asked.

"There's a meeting with the other nations this evening. They'll be here soon," Sokka said.

***

As the sun set, a Fire nation and Earth Kingdom blimp arrived. The chanting of the protesters grew louder as they landed within the gate.

"Announcing the arrival of Earth King Kuel and Fire Lord Zuko!" announced a watertribe warrior.

"We're here!" Kuel said excitedly. "We're finally here! I've been waiting to visit the south pole for years now, ever since meeting Katara and Sokka! Isn't that right, Bosco?" the kings bear made a noise of agreement. "My goodness! It's everything I'd imagined it'd be! It's... it's... f-f-f-freezing!"