80: Retire

"Are you guys leaving?" Tu Cho asked, walking up to her friends on the dark deck.

"Already?" Zuko asked, following her.

"You're going back to the capital city," Katara said. "It's going to bring up all sorts of stuff for your, mom, for Kiyi, for Kita, for all of you."

"You need to figure it out as a family," Aang said.

"We'd just be in the way," Sokka shrugged, half hoping Tu Cho would tell them to stay. "Especially dolphin-fish rider over here."

"But you guys are my family," Tu Cho said, looking at her husband and sister in law with pleading eyes but not saying it outright.

Karata set her hand on Tu Cho's shoulder. "You guys, you, Zuko, and your mom, haven't really had any bonding time. This will be your chance."

"I guess," Tu Cho said with a sad sigh.

Zuko hugged Aang. "Thank you, guys. For everything."

"Happy to be there for you, buddy," Sokka said patting Zuko's back. He turned to Tu Cho and hugged her. "I love you, Tu Cho."

"I promise I'll see you soon." Tu Cho kissed her husband. "Really soon."

"With good news I hope," Sokka smiled and kissed her again before climbing up onto Appa.

"And you get mad about us giving you the oogies," Katara teased her brother.

"Whatever," Sokka crossed his arms, blushing lightly.

"Yip yip!" Appa lifted off the ground and Aang yelled, "We'll see each other again before you know it! Yu Dao's inaugural celebration is in a week!"

Zuko and Tu Cho smiled and waved as they flew away. They turned to go back inside but Zuko caught sight of something. He tapped his sister's shoulder and she looked to see their mother staring at the ocean. They walked up to her. "Mom?" Zuko asked. "You okay?"

Ursa jumped. "Zuko! Tu Cho! I... I'm fine. Did Aang, Katara, and Sokka just leave?"

"Yes," Zuko said. "If I'd known you were still up, I would've asked you to come say goodbye."

"You're lucky to have such good friends," Ursa said.

"I am." Zuko smiled.

"What's going on, mom?" Tu Cho asked in an attempt to get along with her mother.

"Just needed a little fresh air, that's all."

"Kiyi will come around soon," Zuko said. "You're the same person on the inside, regardless of what you look like on the outside. She'll figure it out."

"I know she will." Ursa looked at the stars. "I was actually thinking about another daughter of mine..."

"Azula..." Tu Cho leaned against the rail.

"Do you think she's all right?" Ursa sighed. "Safe, warm, happy?"

"Mom, we did everything we could," Zuko said. "I searched forgetful valley for weeks."

"I don't think we'll find her unless... until she wants to be found," Tu Cho said.

"I'm sure she's safe," Zuko responded. "If nothing else, she knows how to survive. Happy, though? I don't even know what that would mean for her..."

There was a pause before Ursa gave a small hop. "We shouldn't be so dour on the eve of our homecoming! It'll be wonderful to see Zuko in his element!"

"Thanks, I-" Zuko grabbed his mom's hand. "You're freezing!" He pulled her toward the cabin, leaving Tu Cho to star gaze alone. Before they reached the cabin, a fire hawk swooped down to land on Zuko's arm with a letter. "It's a letter from the Kyoshi Warriors..." He was visibly distressed.

"Is something wrong?" Ursa asked.

Zuko smiled, rolling it back up. "Nothing I can't handle." He walked his mother to the cabin. "Don't worry. I'm going to do everything in my power to keep you all safe. Especially Kiyi. I promise."

He closed the door and walked back over to Tu Cho. He passed it to her.

She read through it quickly. "Do you have a plan to avoid the trap?"

"Yes," Zuko said. "I just thought you should know about it."

"Zuko..." Tu Cho sighed. "I think we should talk and now is as good a time as any... I don't think you need me as an advisor anymore."

"What?" Zuko asked. "Of course I need you!"

"As your sister, yeah, but not as an advisor." She looked back at the stars. "You didn't talk to me about Yu Dou. You didn't talk to me about Azula. And you already have this plan, true to form, that you didn't need to talk to me about. I think it's time for me to retire my position and focus my efforts on something else."

"If that's what you feel you need, Tu Cho," Zuko looked at the stars. "I know we've lived vastly different lives. I can't just expect you to want to stay here."

"Thank you, Zuko," Tu Cho smiled at her brother. "I need to do what's best for my daughter."

Zuko hugged his sister with a smile. "I know."