26: Leaving Ba Sing Se

Tu Cho ran back to the second cavern where she had left everyone. Aang was entering the avatar state.  Tu Cho saw it before the hand motions were even complete. Aang fell from the air as he was struck from the back with lightning from Azula's fingertips.

Katara caught him with tears in her eyes.

"Katara!" Tu Cho ran to her side. "We need to..."

Zuko and Azula were preparing to attack Aang when a shot of hot fire stopped them. Iroh jumped down from the wall of the cave and shielded Aang and Katara and Tu Cho from Zuko and Azula. "You've got to get out of here! I'll hold them off as long as I can!" He fired blast after blast at Zuko and Azula.

Katara started towards the water fall, carrying Aang.

Tu Cho stopped before following for only a second. She was disappointed in her brother's choice but it was his to make. He would have another chance, Azula and Ozia would give him that, she wouldn't. She turned away and ran to help Katara with Aang's limp body. She held tight to Aang as Katara used waterbending to lift the three of them out of the cavern.

~~~

Tu Cho sat beside Sokka. "I can't believe we're leaving. I feel like I'm always leaving."

Sokka stretched an arm around Tu Cho awkwardly. "Hey but at least you're actually going with us this time."

Tu Cho pulled his arm a little tighter around her. His warmth was comforting and she quite liked the way he made her feel. "I had to make some choices. I was offered a chance to go back to the fire nation with a cozy palace position. A life of luxury, far from the war front."

Sokka stared ahead as he steered Appa with one hand and held Tu Cho with the other. "I know that couldn't have been an easy choice for you. I'd do almost anything to go home without having to worry about the war."

Tu Cho shook her head. "It wasn't easy. But this is my choice and we will win." She sighed wishing her brother had made the same choice as her. She could certainly use his support right now. She brought Sokka's hand to her face and kissed the back of it. "I'm going to help Katara." Tu Cho crawled over Appa's back to where Bosco, King Kuei, Toph, Aang, and Katara were. Appa moaned sadly as Katara began crying again when the spirit water stopped glowing. Aang's tattoos glowed for a second and Aang gasped. Katara looked at Aang, who smiled a little, and she held him closer.

Tu Cho looked back to Back Sing Se as a red banner was dropped over the city wall. The golden fire nation emblem glinted in the sun light.

Kuei watched with her. "The Earth Kingdom has fallen."