15: Meeting Jet

Tu Cho had been rather reluctant but seeing as she wasn't going to be able to do much with a big hole in the wall she went.

Sokka put up a poster on the wall. "We'll split up to cover more area. Toph, I guess you should just come with me."

"Why?" Toph asked peevishly. "Because you think I can't put up posters on my own?" She angrily took the paintbrush of glue from Sokka and threw glue on the wall. She put up a poster, but it was backward. "It's upside-down, isn't it? I'll just go with Sokka."

"Tu Cho, why don't you come with me?" Katara said.

"That works for me." Tu Cho followed.

Katara put a poster up as she asked, "So what did you need to talk to me about?"

"Um... Actually... It's less of a talking and more of a need for a health check..."

"A health check?" Katara asked, looking away from the poster.

"You are a healer, right?"

"Well yes... it's just that no one's ever come to me for that before."

Tu Cho looked away from her. "I don't have anyone else to turn to."

"That sounds ominous... Is something wrong? You have been sick a lot lately..."

"Well..." Tu Cho rubbed the back of her head. "Not really wrong..."

"Okay..." Katara sounded slightly confused. "I'll give you a once over tonight then?"

"That would be perfect." Tu Cho smiled. She gave Katara a quick hug and her smile faded. "Who is..."

"Katara?" asked a young man's voice.

Katara wheeled around as she answered the unfinished question under her breath. "Jet..."

Jet was smiling confidently. "I think I can help you."

Katara's face held an expression of complete and total outrage. With a sweep of her arms she bent up a pair of towering waves from the stream behind her, sending them crashing towards him.

Jet yelled, "Katara! I've changed!" He was taken up by the force of the cascade and swept backward into the alleyway.

Katara pulled a puddle up into a spinning sphere, ready to attack. "Tell it to some other girl, Jet!" She froze the water and unleashed a barrage of ice spikes down the alley toward him.

"Katara don't kill him," Tu Cho called form her space on the side line.

Whirling off-balance, Jet managed to cut the icey daggers out of the out of the air. "I don't want to fight you! I'm here to help." He held out his hook-swords and he dropped them to the ground as Katara drew closer.

She stopped, apparently not sure what to think. Jet reached behind his back for something and Katara pinned him with a flurry of ice blades.

Tu Cho grabbed Katara's shoulder gently. "Don't kill him or we will be sent out of the city faster than you can say Ba Sing Se."

Sokka, Toph and Aang come rushing up behind the girls. Sokka sounded worried. "Katara, what is it?"

Katara turned with a serious stare. "Jet's back."

"Katara." Tu Cho finally caught her attention. "Maybe he's here for something good?"

Katara was resolute. "We can't trust anything Jet says."

Sokka was logical about it, "But we don't even know why he's here."

Katara grew even more hostile. "I don't care why he's here. Whatever the reason is, it can't be good."

"I'm here to help you find Appa." Still pinned to the wall, Jet opened his hand to let a leaflet unroll.

Aang turn desperately from the leaflet back to Katara. "Katara, we have to give him a chance."

Jet sounded earnest. "I swear, I've changed. I was a troubled person, and I let my anger get out of control. But I don't even have the gang now. I've put all that behind me."

Katara was clearly bitter. "You're lying!"

Toph pushed past Katara and placed her palm on the wall close to Jet. "He's not lying."

Sokka asked, "How can you tell?"

Toph kept her hand on the wall. "I can feel his breathing and heartbeat. When people lie, there is a physical reaction. He's telling the truth." Everyone turned to Katara.

"Katara, we don't have any leads," Aang pleaded. "If Jet says he can take us to Appa, we have to check it out."

Katara shoulders sagged in resignation. "Alright... but we're not letting you out of our sight!"

Tu Cho set one hand on her stomach. "I should go with them..." Tu Cho whispered to herself. "But we won't be back there any time soon..."

"