1

"Happy birthday, Virgil." He whispered to himself as he blew out his single candle. No parties... no gifts... no guests but he didn't care. He smiled as he took a small piece of freshly baked bread and broke it. His eyes seemed to shine as he spread some homemade honey butter and just melted at the taste. Can't really blame him any... He had a bit of a sweet tooth.

He was glad he was able to snag some from the kitchen without anyone knowing. They all had a problem with him taking their breads or cakes. Any treat they made, Virgil was not allowed to have. It just made the moments he did get some all the more enjoyable. Especially if he stole it. The looks on their faces when it goes missing. Priceless.

Virgil sighed as he leaned back against the tower wall. He could see the stars as clearly as everyone else could see the sun, even on such a cloudy night as this. He loved it. Night always gave him a sense of belonging. Made sense when nothing else did. The night was quiet, dark, and it let him be alone without having to see everyone glares and dirty looks.

He held his hand out as watched the silvery swirls of magic twirl about his fingers. He didn't understand how he had it. It was just something he was born with. It was very calming though. Watching the swirls dance around his hand like silver clouds illuminated by the moonlight, eased any anxieties he felt. 

He was told many times not to do any of his... tricks. Any time his magic flared he always got in trouble. No magic... no trick or spells... nothing that proved him to be creature they all considered him. But... Up here in his hide out in the tower... up here he could be whatever he wanted... do whatever he wanted. No one could tell him no when he was up here. 

He let his hand drop and smiled as he stared out at the moon. To everyone else it looked like a big ol'space rock. To him... To him it felt safe... familiar. He guessed his connection to the night had to be because of his magic. It made sense. He didn't try to understand it. He just releashed in it. 

It was better than what they all tried to do. The whole village wanted him to hide away. They tried to keep him inside at night. Thought the night boosted his powers or something. Virgil didn't even know. He was never allowed to learn more about himself to even think about it.

It never stopped him from leaving. Every night he'd climb out his window and go up the tower. No one could follow him up even if they wanted to. There was no ladder for them to try it. He was completely safe up here and that was the best part.

His eyes scanned the stars as he relaxed more into the dark. He tried to find all the constellations. It was his nightly routine. If he didn't want to do that he'd mess around with his magic making shapes with it. 

He smiled as he twirled his finger about in the air making his magic swirl into a rabbit shape. He laughed as it hopped through the sky before fizzing away into the moons light. He just loved the beauty of it all. 

Staring up at the night sky, Virgil almost found a sense of peace. After the day he had, it was welcomed. He knew what he had to do. Living in his little village his whole life taught him one thing... He can only live for himself.

He sighed as he let his mind wander. His thoughts going back to his village and his home. It was about time he did what he wanted. Yet he knew the only way to do that would be to... 

Virgil laughed as he shook his head. That was always the plan wasn't it? He looked over at his bag and narrowed his eyes. It was always plan. He moved till he could see over the edge and just took in the sight.

Virgil's eyes shined in the night like an animal who thrives in the dark. His gaze darted about the world as he watched from his perch. He was making sure the coast was clear. He had had enough of this. After 18 years of the abuse and torment... fear over who he was and what he could do... He was done. 

He pulled his bag over his shoulder and stood up with a frown. 18 years and he finally going to leave this hell hole of a village. They never liked him anyway. They all thought he was a monster. He couldn't help his magic. His mother was the only person who treated him human. It wasn't enough. 

He took a deep breath as he let himself step of the ledge of the tower that held his hide out. The air whipped around him as he dropped, a flurry of sights and colors to fast for his eyes to adgust to. He smiled as his descent slowly until he touched the ground gently, as if he was lighter than air. Well... technically, he very well could be at times. His footsteps carried in the wind, a subtle crunch of the gravel as he walked. No one would be up at this time of night. 

No one could stop him either. He turned 18 the second the moon hit the sky. He pushed his way through town blending in with the night air around him easily dispite being as pale as he was. Nobody ever seemed to notice him anyway. They ignored his pressence like a black smug on a dark bowl. They just didn't care about him. 

As he entered the woods he let himself breathe. He didn't know how he would going to survive but anything was better than the hate and fear they all drowned him in. Just because he was born with magic... JUST because he could do things they could not... They all thought him the spawn of hell. Well now their perfect pristine glass menagerie will no longer hold that rusted and broken metal figurine.

They wanted him gone... well... now he was.