Chapter 40: Dear Diary

Third Person

The plain, dusty windows blocked the light rays of the creeping sun, creating long shadows that extended to the tables and chairs. The welcoming, peculiar smell of a classroom passed gently throughout the air — a mix of chalk, old items, and books. 

There were muffled sounds as well. 

Like the whirring of the ceiling fan, its chilly breeze enough to cool both the room and the students. Like the low chatters of students getting to know each other. Or maybe it was the sound of morning insects, echoing around the walls.   

There was something comforting about it all. And strangely enough, this was better than the boy had expected. 

"Good morning everyone," said the cheerful woman, eyes squinting. 

The students stood up with excitement, ready to start a new school year despite their nervousness. "Good morning Miss Principal!" they greeted with the same amount of enthusiasm.

"Now, before I introduce you to your teacher, introduce yourselves," she piped up. "Right to left, okay? First student on the row, you start!" Her sight hovered over to a sapphire-eyed boy. 

The aforementioned student timidly stood up from his seat, head hanging down. He felt weak-kneed. He wasn't used to having all eyes on him. But hey, it'll be alright. At least that's what he'd been telling himself ever since the start of the day. 

"Remember, it's okay to be nervous," the vermilion-haired woman reassured, still clutching on her clipboard filled with meetings and schedules. 

"Mrs. Caline is correct. It's normal to take your time," said the teacher. 

Faint murmurs escaped his lips, which only the boy himself could hear. "Pardon, dear?" 

"What was the question again?" His toes curled in embarrassment, involuntary touching his ears. 

The principal only giggled, understanding that the student was struggling. "Simply introduce yourself. So, what's your name?" 

He caught sight of an amber-eyed boy — whose lips grew into a comforting beam. It calmed him a little. 

Although meek, the male took a deep breath, and finally fought this temporary fear.

"Hugo Agreste."

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

Dear Diary...

"First day, first experience, different classes" —the mother panicked, pacing around the room— "is he going to be okay? I-I mean you know he's the shy type.

"And Emma— your hair's gone haywire." She gritted her teeth, smiling sarcastically.

"Sorry mom," said the blonde-haired girl. "It was Louis' fault, by the way," she sneered. "But Ninya still is going to be my classmate, right?"

"Yes. And that means Louis still has to look after you. End of discussion."

"W-why?!" Louis' green eyes were reproachful.

"You're the eldest," the mother scolded.

"But I'm just a few months older than Emma..." he argued, pouting his lips.

"Listen to your mother, Louis." The male's father crossed his arms. 

I suppose throughout my teenage years you start to realize that...you don't plan to fall in love with someone. 

"That's right!" A red, flying creature added. 

"Fine," said the blue-haired boy dully, sulking in his seat.