Chapter 33: Perilous

Third Person

Standing on the observation deck of the Montparnasse tower, she embraced the forbidding breeze. No one but her stood there. She was by herself, without the company of any sort.

All was fun and games until she knew she was about to jump. She walked slowly to the ledge, taking a deep breath. She saw the heroine in the corner of her eye, digging her nails on her own elbows. 

Was this truly worth it? 

Her fear of heights only triggered her agitation further. It could risk her life if no one saw. What she was about to do was for the good of Paris, and if it meant losing her soul for the peace of the city, then it was more than worthwhile. 

Gathering up both her courage and tenacity, she bit her lip—which was on the verge of bleeding due to the unavoidable anxiousness that encased her entire being. Blocking the noise of the public, she shut her eyes in pure fear. 

Finally, she turned around, leaping slightly, and allowing herself to fall from behind. 

An audible, yet soft gasp fell from her mouth. Her chest heaved for air but she couldn't seem to breathe. The next thing she knew, the strong wind hit her back forcefully. Her legs and arms were rising as her body grew closer and closer to the ground.

She clenched the small box trapped on her palm, not bothering to look beneath, for her curiosity was irrelevant at the time. In alarm, she looked around, her pupils dilating in panic. Realizing no one was there to save her, tears escaped her eyes and flew up.

It was too soon. 

Unable to turn back time, she faced the inevitable fate of death.

Flashback

It's been quite a while for her. 

Passing the busy street, the brunette attempted to blend in with the rest. She raked a hand across her caramel hair, her feet halting at the sight of the cafe. She pushed the glass door softly, hearing the delightful chime she had longed for. 

The teen walked in timidly. After all this time, she hadn't gone to her favorite coffee shop due to the constant stress.

The sweet aroma of caffeine and freshly baked pastries filled the air, welcoming her. Eunice took a deep breath, immensely calmed by the soothing ambiance. The surroundings alone filled her stomach, especially the beautiful cottagecore theme. 

This particular shop was her favorite, considering they not only had coffee, but all sorts of drinks and delicacies too. For the most part, she often came by because of her best friend who worked there.  

"Ah, Eunice! I've missed you," the employee said, happy to see her favorite customer. 

"Me too," she replied, her feet fidgeting. 

"Would you like the usual?" She flashed a bright smile. 

"Yes please," Eunice answered, seemingly in a dry tone. 

"Alright then, that's one honey earl grey milk tea, a chocolate tart, and a caramel macchiato for take out. Anything else?" the waitress questioned, writing the order on a small piece of paper.

"No thanks. That's all, but minus the caramel macchiato. My mom's working today so I can't give the drink to her," she responded, as weary as an old man.

The female noticed the other's worn-out expression. "Hey, are you having a bad day? You look exhausted and it's early in the morning." 

"It's nothing important, really." Her eyes were fixed to the ground.